Mitigating the Nonlinear Optical Fiber Using Dithering and APD Coherent Detection on Radio Over Fiber
Nonlinear is one of the major interferences in the RoF (radio-over-fiber) scheme. In this scheme, optical fiber transmission is an essential medium for transmitting data. Data transmission with high capacity and density is highly vulnerable to nonlinear effects. To overcome this problem, we proposed the use of HFD (high-frequency dithering) and APD (avalanche photodiode) to reduce the nonlinear effect on both sides of the transmitter and receiver sides. This study was more emphasized on SPM (self-phase modulation) and GVD (group velocity dispersion) nonlinear types. The results show that there was an increase in amplitude unit (a.u) of the APD component used on the CD. The maximum amplitude unit (a.u) generated was 500 k and the minimum was least −70 k at the optical fiber length of 10 km. Longer optical fiber length led to greater losses. Compared with the scheme without using APD on the receiving side, the results show a fivefold increase at the optical fiber length of 10 km.
KeywordsRoF Dithering APD Nonlinear
This research was done by a collaboration of Laboratory of Telecommunication, Universitas Brawijaya, Indonesia and Universitas Gadjah Mada, Indonesia.
- 2.Maxwell, J.C.: A Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism, vol. 2, 3rd edn, pp. 68–73. Clarendon, Oxford (1892)Google Scholar
- 3.Jacobs, I.S., Bean, C.P.: Fine particles, thin films and exchange anisotropy. In: Rado, G.T., Suhl, H. (eds.) Magnetism, vol. III, pp. 271–350. Academic, New York (1963)Google Scholar
- 5.Kanesan, T., Pang, W., Ghassemlooy, Z., Lu, C.: Impact of optical modulators in LTE RoF systems with nonlinear compensator for enhanced power budget. In: Proceedings of Optical Fiber Communication Conference and Exposition and the National Fiber Optic Engineers Conference, California, United States, pp. 1–3, March 2013Google Scholar
- 9.Jiao, Z., Zhang, R., Zhang, X., Liu, J., Lu, Z.: Modeling of single-section quantum dot mode-locked lasers: impact of group velocity dispersion and self phase modulation. J. Lightwave Technol. 49(12), 1008–1015 (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Partiansyah, F.H., Susanto, A., Mustika, I.W., Idrus, S.M., Purnomo, S.H.: Dithering analysis in an orthogonal frequency division multiplexing-radio over fiber link. Int. J. Electr. Comput. Eng. 6(3), 1112–1121 (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.Khair, F., Partiansyah, F.H., Mustika, I.W., Setiyanto, B.: Performance analysis of digital modulation for coherent detection of OFDM scheme on radio over fiber system. Int. J. Electr. Comput. Eng. 6(3), 1086–1095 (2016)Google Scholar
- 12.Hario, F., Mustika, I.W., Susanto, A., Hadi, S., Idrus, S.M.: A novel scheme for orthogonal frequency division multiplexing-radio over fiber based on modulator and dithering technique: impact of self phase modulation and group velocity dispersion. Int. J. Intell. Eng. Syst. 10(4), 117–125 (2017)Google Scholar