Representing and Communicating the Cultural Heritage Construction of Virtual Urban and Architectural Scale Places for Learning
This contribution addresses the opportunities that technological innovations offer to expand accessibility to knowledge. The goal is to verify how the organization of specific content, together with the use of identified technologies, are factors that significantly influence the relationship between users, the curators of the transmitted information, and the institutions appointed to conserve and enhance various cultural heritage. In particular, two experimentations centred on using augmented reality/virtuality and interactive media were made to verify the potential of their use and application to two different types of cultural heritage. Both experimentations have the common goal of identifying and initiating new cognitive processes based mainly on inquiry in an active, exploratory way, that is, allowing users to interact with the information tied to the cultural heritage, offering broad, multi-sensory use.
KeywordsCultural heritage Virtual environments 3D reconstruction Immersive navigation Interactive interfaces
The research activities presented here were made thanks to the participation of two young Master’s degree students at the SAAD, University of Camerino: Mila Fares (first case study) and Matteo Iachetti (second case study).
- Boyer D, Marcus J (2011) Implementing mobile augmented reality applications for cultural institutions. In: Proceedings of museums and the web, archives. Museum Informatics, TorontoGoogle Scholar
- Crocetti G (1997) Quaderni dell’Archivio Storico Arcivescovile di Fermo, vol 23Google Scholar
- Irace F, Ciagà G, Lupo E, Trocchianesi, R (a cura di) (2013) Design & cultural heritage. Electa, MilanoGoogle Scholar
- Ippoliti E, Meschini A (2010) Dal modello 3D alla scena 3D. Prospettive e opportunità per la valorizzazione del patrimonio culturale architettonico e urbano. Disegnarecon 3(6):77–91Google Scholar
- Ippoliti E, Meschini A (2011) Tecnologie per la comunicazione del patrimonio culturale. Disegnarecon 4(8):1–138Google Scholar
- Ma N, Laroche F, Hervy B, Kerouanton JL (2013) Virtual conservation and interaction with our cultural heritage: framework for multi-dimension model based interface. In: Proceedings of digital heritage international congress, 28 October–1 November, Marsiglia, France. IEEE PublisherGoogle Scholar
- Meschini A, Rossi D, Feriozzi R (2016) La Basilica in una scatola. Proposta per una wunderkammer contemporanea. Disegnarecon 9(17):1–10Google Scholar