The chapter focuses on the American-led coalition’s 2003 invasion of Iraq and overthrow of Saddam Hussein. The first part of the chapter outlines the major developments and American actions before and during the invasion. The second part assesses the degree to which the intervention was truly focused on delivering a democratic outcome. It first focuses on the role that democracy played in the decision to intervene. Subsequently, it examines the actions of the Bush administration in the aftermath of the intervention in order to identify the degree to which these actions were focused on establishing democracy.
KeywordsIraq Intervention Saddam Hussein Democracy Bush USA
- Allawi, Ali A. 2007. The Occupation of Iraq: Winning the War, Losing the Peace. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Ambrose, Stephen E., and Douglas G. Brinkley. 2011. Rise to Globalism: American Foreign Policy Since 1938. New York: Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- Anderson, Liam, and Gareth Stansfield. 2004. The Future of Iraq: Dictatorship, Democracy or Division, 2nd ed. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- BBC. 2003. “Transcript of Blair’s Iraq Interview.” February 6. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/2732979.stm.
- Borger, Julian, Brian Whitaker, and Vikram Dodd. 2003. “Saddam’s Desperate Efforts to Stave off War.” The Guardian, November 7. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2003/nov/07/iraq.brianwhitaker.
- Bush, George W. 2003a. “President Discusses Beginning of Operation Iraqi Freedom.” https://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/releases/2003/03/20030322.html.
- ———. 2003b. “President Says Saddam Hussein Must Leave Iraq Within 48 Hours: Remarks by the President in Address to the Nation.” https://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/releases/2003/03/20030317-7.html.
- Central Intelligence Agency. 2002. Iraq’s Weapons of Mass Destruction. Central Intelligence Agency. https://www.cia.gov/library/reports/general-reports-1/iraq_wmd/Iraq_Oct_2002.htm.
- Clarke, Michael. 2004. “The Diplomacy That Led to War in Iraq.” In The Conflict in Iraq, 2003, edited by Paul Cornish. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. Google Scholar
- CNN. 2003. [Transcript] “Wolfowitz: WMD Chosen as Reason for Iraq War for ‘Bureaucratic Reasons.’” May 30. http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0305/30/se.08.html.
- ———. 2018. “Iraq Weapons Inspections Fast Facts.” https://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/30/world/meast/iraq-weapons-inspections-fast-facts/index.html.
- Cramer, Jane K., and Edward C. Duggan. 2012. “In Pursuit of Primacy: Why the United States Invaded Iraq.” In Why Did the United States Invade Iraq?, edited by Jane K. Cramer and A. Trevor Thrall, 201–38. Abington, Oxon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Dobbins, James, John G. McGinn, Keith Crane, Seth G. Jones, Rollie Lal, Andrew Rathmell, Rachel Swanger, and Anga Timilsina. 2003. America’s Role in Nation Building: From Germany to Iraq. Santa Monica: RAND. Google Scholar
- Early, Steve. 2012. “Iraqi Labor Unions Still Struggling with U.S. Occupation’s Yoke.” Labornotes, August 21. http://www.labornotes.org/blogs/2012/08/iraqi-labor-unions-still-struggling-us-occupation%E2%80%99s-yoke.
- Fallows, James. 2006. Blind into Baghdad: America’s War in Iraq. New York: Vintage.Google Scholar
- Farrell, Stephen. 2008. “At War at War Notes from the Front Lines Baghdad, April 9, 2003: Fear, Euphoria and Hints of Things to Come.” March 18. https://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/18/baghdad-april-9-2003-fear-euphoria-and-hints-of-things-to-come/.
- Freedom House. 2018. Freedom in the World 2018. https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2018/iraq.
- Goldschmidt, Arthur Jr., and Lawrence Davidson. 2010. A Concise History of the Middle East, 9th ed. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.Google Scholar
- Harding, Luke. 2016. “Tony Blair Unrepentant as Chilcot Gives Crushing Iraq War Verdict.” The Guardian, July 6. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/06/chilcot-report-crushing-verdict-tony-blair-iraq-war.
- Juhasz, Antonia. 2013. “Why the War in Iraq Was Fought for Big Oil.” CNN, March 19. https://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/19/opinion/iraq-war-oil-juhasz/index.html.
- Keegan, John. 2004. The Iraq War. London: Hutchinson.Google Scholar
- Kramer, Andrew E. 2011. “U.S. Companies Get Slice of Iraq’s Oil Pie.” New York Times, June 15. https://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/15/business/energy-environment/15iht-srerussia15.html.
- Kupchan, Charles A. 2003. The End of the America Era: U.S. Foreign Policy and the Geopolitics of the Twenty-First Century. New York: Vintage.Google Scholar
- Masters. Daniel. 2014. “Rival Military Intervention: Prospects for Regime Change and Democracy in Target States.” In Annual Meeting of the Western Political Science Association, Seattle, WA.Google Scholar
- Morgan, Oliver. 2003. “US Arms Trader to Run Iraq.” The Guardian, March 30. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2003/mar/30/iraq.globalisation.
- Muttitt, Greg. 2011. Fuel on the Fire: Oil and Politics in Occupied Iraq. London: The Bodley Head.Google Scholar
- New York Times. 2002. “President Bush’s Speech on the Use of Force.” October 8. https://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/08/national/president-bushs-speech-on-the-use-of-force.html.
- New York Times. 2005a. “Iraq’s New President Names Shiite Leader as Prime Minister.” April 7. https://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/07/international/middleeast/iraqs-new-president-names-shiite-leader-as-prime.html.
- ———. 2005b. “Text of the Draft Iraqi Constitution.” August 24. https://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/24/international/middleeast/text-of-the-draft-iraqi-constitution.html.
- NGO Coordination Committee for Iraq. 2012. “Local NGOs Funding Dilemma.” https://reliefweb.int/report/iraq/local-ngos-funding-dilemma.
- Packer, George. 2006. The Assassin’s Gate: America in Iraq. New York: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux.Google Scholar
- PBS. 2006. “Interview with Lt. General Jay Garner.” https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/yeariniraq/interviews/garner.html.
- Pelletiere, Stephen. 2004. America’s Oil Wars. Westport, CT: Praeger.Google Scholar
- Phillips, David L. 2006. Losing Iraq: Inside the Postwar Reconstruction Fiasco. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Project for the New American Century. 2000. “Rebuilding America’s Defenses.” https://archive.org/details/ProjectForANewAmericanCenturyRebuildingAmericasDefenses/page/n0.
- Rieff, David. 2005. At the Point of a Gun: Democratic Dreams and Armed Intervention. New York: Simon & Schuster.Google Scholar
- Smith, R. Jeffrey. 2007. “Hussein’s Pre-War Ties to Al Qaeda Discounted: Pentagon Reports Say Contacts Were Limited.” New York Times, April 6. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/05/AR2007040502263.html.
- Spillius, Alex. 2003. “The Fall of Tikrit Ends the War.” The Telegraph, April 15. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iraq/1427589/Fall-of-Tikrit-ends-the-war.html.
- Stansfield, Gareth. 2007. Iraq. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- The Guardian. 2002. “Transcript: George Bush’s Speech on Iraq.” October 7. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/oct/07/usa.iraq.
- Woodward, Bob. 2004. No Title. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster.Google Scholar
- Zunes, Stephen. 2003. “The U.S. Invasion of Iraq: The Military Side of Globalization.” Globalizations 6 (1): 99–105. http://globalpolicy.org/component/content/article/155/25955.html.CrossRefGoogle Scholar