RusNLP: Semantic Search Engine for Russian NLP Conference Papers
- 436 Downloads
We present RusNLP, a web service implementing semantic search engine and recommendation system over proceedings of three major Russian NLP conferences (Dialogue, AIST and AINL). The collected corpus spans across 12 years and contains about 400 academic papers in English. The presented web service allows searching for publications semantically similar to arbitrary user queries or to any given paper. Search results can be filtered by authors and their affiliations, conferences or years. They are also interlinked with the NLPub.ru service, making it easier to quickly capture the general focus of each paper. The search engine source code and the publications metadata are freely available for all interested researchers.
In the course of preparing the web service, we evaluated several well-known techniques for representing and comparing documents: TF-IDF, LDA, and Paragraph Vector. On our comparatively small corpus, TF-IDF yielded the best results and thus was chosen as the primary algorithm working under the hood of RusNLP.
KeywordsInformation retrieval Semantic similarity Scientific literature search Document representations Academic communities
We thank numerous VPNs and Tor Project. At the time of finalizing this paper, they were the only ways for Russian-based scholars to collaborate with the colleagues abroad, because of Internet censorship carried by the Russian governmental agency called Roskomnadzor. It accidentally managed to temporarily block a whole bunch of academic resources, including Softconf, Overleaf, etc.
- 1.Bakarov, A., Kutuzov, A., Nikishina, I.: Russian computational linguistics: topical structure in 2007–2017 conference papers. In: Proceedings of Dialogue-2018, online papers. ABBYY (2018), http://www.dialog-21.ru/media/4249/bakarov_kutuzov.pdf
- 2.Bhagavatula, C., Feldman, S., Power, R., Ammar, W.: Content-based citation recommendation. In: Proceedings of the 2018 Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics: Human Language Technologies, Volume 1 (Long Papers). pp. 238–251. Association for Computational Linguistics (2018), http://aclweb.org/anthology/N18-1022
- 3.Bird, S., Dale, R., Dorr, B., Gibson, B., Joseph, M., Kan, M.Y., Lee, D., Powley, B., Radev, D., Tan, Y.F.: The ACL Anthology reference corpus: A reference dataset for bibliographic research in computational linguistics. In: LREC 2008 (2008), http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/L08-1005
- 4.Blei, D.M., Ng, A.Y., Jordan, M.I.: Latent Dirichlet allocation. Journal of Machine Learning Research 3(Jan), 993–1022 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Faessler, E., Hahn, U.: Semedico: a comprehensive semantic search engine for the life sciences. Proceedings of ACL 2017, System Demonstrations pp. 91–96 (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.Kern, R., Jack, K., Hristakeva, M., Granitzer, M.: Teambeam - meta-data extraction from scientific literature. In: Knoth, P., Zdrahal, Z., Juffinger, A. (eds.) Special Issue on Mining Scientific Publications, D-Lib Magazine, vol. 18, number 7/8. Corporation for National Research Initiatives (July 2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Krippendorff, K.: Content analysis: An introduction to its methodology. Sage (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Le, Q., Mikolov, T.: Distributed representations of sentences and documents. In: International Conference on Machine Learning. pp. 1188–1196 (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Medlar, A., Ilves, K., Wang, P., Buntine, W., Glowacka, D.: Pulp: A system for exploratory search of scientific literature. In: Proceedings of the 39th International ACM SIGIR conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval. pp. 1133–1136. ACM (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.Mikolov, T., Sutskever, I., Chen, K., Corrado, G.S., Dean, J.: Distributed representations of words and phrases and their compositionality. Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 26, 3111–3119 (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Nanni, F., Dietz, L., Faralli, S., Glavaš, G., Ponzetto, S.P.: Capturing interdisciplinarity in academic abstracts. D-lib magazine 22(9/10) (2016)Google Scholar
- 13.Řehůřek, R., Sojka, P.: Software Framework for Topic Modelling with Large Corpora. In: Proceedings of the LREC 2010 Workshop on New Challenges for NLP Frameworks. pp. 45–50. Valletta, Malta (May 2010)Google Scholar
- 15.Straka, M., Straková, J.: Tokenizing, POS Tagging, Lemmatizing and Parsing UD 2.0 with UDPipe. In: Proceedings of the CoNLL 2017 Shared Task: Multilingual Parsing from Raw Text to Universal Dependencies. pp. 88–99 (2017)Google Scholar
- 16.Ustalov, D.: NLPub: a catalogue and a community for Russian linguistic resources. In: Selected Papers of XVI All-Russian Scientific Conference “Digital libraries: Advanced Methods and Technologies, Digital Collections”. vol. 1297, pp. 56–60. RWTH (2014)Google Scholar
- 17.Yoneda, T., Mori, K., Miwa, M., Sasaki, Y.: Bib2vec: Embedding-based search system for bibliographic information. In: Proceedings of the Software Demonstrations of the 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics. pp. 112–115. Association for Computational Linguistics (2017), http://aclweb.org/anthology/E17-3028