Adult Eye Examination Techniques
The adult eye examination is unique in medicine in that most of the pathology is directly, objectively visible to the examiner. The adult eye examination includes an analysis of the physiologic function and anatomic status of the eye, visual system, and related structures. Through the use of specialized instruments, the adult eye examination is performed in a systematic manner.
KeywordsAdult eye examination Eye exam techniques Visual acuity measurement Refractive error assessment Visual field testing Intraocular pressure measurement Posterior eye segment examination
- American Academy of Ophthalmology. Introducing ophthalmology: a primer for office staff. 3rd ed. 2013. https://www.aao.org/Assets/ee65c92c-838e-45f9-922c-e703fda56714/635653348833100000/introducing-ophthalmology-a-primer-for-office-staff-3rd-ed-pdf?inline=1.
- Bagger N, Wajda B. The Wills eye manual: office and emergency room diagnosis and treatment of eye disease. 7th ed. LWW; 2016. ISBN-13: 978-1496318831.Google Scholar
- Carlson N, Kurtz D. Clinical procedures for ocular examination. 4th ed. McGraw-Hill Medical; 2015. ISBN-13: 978-0071849203.Google Scholar
- Cunningham E, Riordan-Eva P. Vaughan & Asbury’s general ophthalmology. 18th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Medical; 2011.. ISBN 978-0071634205Google Scholar
- Leitman M. Manual for eye examination and diagnosis. 9th ed. Hoboken: Wiley-Blackwell; 2016.. 13: 978-1119243618Google Scholar