This chapter gives an overview on the behavior of high-tech startups and on important aspects of innovation ecosystems in Brazil. We discuss high-tech entrepreneurship by focusing the start of new high-tech businesses, here referred to as high-tech startups. We also discuss the context in which local innovation ecosystem can promote high-tech entrepreneurship. In this chapter we present the rise of high-tech startups and innovation ecosystems in Brazil, and its concentration in the Southern and Southeastern states of the country, especially in the state of São Paulo. This introductory chapter also offers the framework that highlights the central message of the book, comprising the experience of Brazilian high-tech startups with regard to innovation, sustainability, funding, and background of the entrepreneurs, and their efforts for entering international markets. The framework also highlights the innovation ecosystems and explains the role of business incubators, acceleration programs, government efforts and university entrepreneurship in the country. The framework is the basis for the organization of the chapters in this book.
- BCG. (2018). 2018 BCG Global Challengers Digital Leapfrogs. Retrieved December 17, 2018, from https://www.bcg.com/publications/collections/2018-global-challengers-digital-leapfrogs.aspx.
- Cahen, F., & Oliveira, M. M., Jr. (2017). The Internationalization of High Tech New Ventures from Latin America: The Brazilian Experience. In V. Andonova & M. Losada (Eds.), Multilatinas: Strategies for Internationalization. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. https://doi.org/10.1017/9781316417706.014.
- Cahen, F., & Oliveira, M. M., Jr. (2018). Digital Transformation in Emerging Markets: Strategies and Internationalization of Digital Companies from Latin America. In L. Casanova & A. Miroux (Eds.), Emerging Market Multinationals Report (EMR)—Emerging Markets Institute. S.C. Johnson School of Management. Cornell University. Available at https://www.johnson.cornell.edu/Portals/32/EMI%20Docu/EMR/EMR2018_V3.pdf.
- Global Startup Ecosystem Report. (2017). Available at https://startupgenome.com/thank-you-enjoy-reading/.
- Jackson, D. J. (2011). What Is an Innovation Ecosystem? Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://erc-assoc.org/sites/default/files/download-files/DJackson_What-is-an-Innovation-Ecosystem.pdf.
- Oh, D.-S., Phillips, F., Park, S., & Lee, E. (2016). Innovation Ecosystems: A Critical Examination. Technovation, 54, 1–6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2016.02.004.CrossRefGoogle Scholar