Selection of a Strategic Plan Using an Integrated AHP-Goal Programming Approach
This work proposes a multi-criteria decision making model to assist in the choice of a strategic plan for a world-class company. The Balanced Scorecard (BSC) is a support tool of Beyond Budgeting that translates a company’s vision and strategy into a coherent set of performance measures. However, it does not provide help in choosing a strategic plan. The selection of a strategic plan involves multiple goals and objectives that are often conflicting and incommensurable. This paper proposes an integrated Analytic Hierarchy Process-Goal Programming (AHP-GP) approach to select such a plan. This approach comprises two stages. In the first stage, the AHP is used to evaluate the relative importance of the initiatives with respect to financial indicators/KPIs; while in the second stage a GP model incorporating the AHP priority scores is developed. The GP model selects a set of initiatives that maximizes the earnings before interest and taxes (EBIT) and minimizes the Capital Employed (CE). The proposed method was evaluated through a case study.
KeywordsDecision-making AHP Goal programming AHP-GP Balanced scorecard
We acknowledge the financial support of NORTE 2020 - North Portugal Regional Operational Programme, ERDF European Regional Development Fund through the Operational Programme for Competitiveness and Internationalisation - COMPETE 2020 Programme, and by National Funds through the Portuguese funding agency, FCT - Fundao para a Ciłncia e a Tecnologia within projects NORTE-01- 0145-FEDER-000020, POCI-01-0145-FEDER-031821, and PTDC/EEI-AUT/2933/2014 POCI-01-0145-FEDER-016858.
- 4.Charnes, A., Cooper, W.W.: Management Models and Industrial Applications of Linear Programming. Wiley (1961)Google Scholar
- 5.Bana e Costa, C.A., Vansnick, J.C.: A critical analysis of the eigenvalue method used to derive priorities in AHP. European J. Oper. Res. 187(3), 1422–1428 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Goodwin, P., Wright, G.: Decision Analysis for Management Judgment, 3rd edn. Wiley, Chichester (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Ho, W.: Combining analytic hierarchy process and goal programming for logistics distribution network design. In: 2007 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, ISIC, pp. 714–719. IEEE (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Hope, J., Fraser, R.: Beyond Budgeting: How Managers Can Break Free from the Annual Performance Trap. Harvard Business Press (2003)Google Scholar
- 15.Nors Group: Group performance book manual mydarwin. Technical Report, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (2013)Google Scholar