Effects of Electrolytic Parameters on the Preparation of Al–Sc Master Alloy in Na3AlF6-K3AlF6-AlF3 Melt
The effects of electrolytic parameters on the content of Sc in Al–Sc master alloy prepared by electrolysis in Na3AlF6-K3AlF6-AlF3 melt were studied. It is observed that the content of Sc in Al–Sc master alloy increases and then decreases with increasing the electrolysis temperature and the cathodic current density. Under the electrolysis condition (temperature 950 °C, cathodic current density 1.50 A cm−2 and concentration of Al2O3 1.0 wt%), the content of Sc in the production is increased from 0.81 to 3.87 wt% as the value of the concentration ratio of Sc2O3 to Al2O3 ([Sc2O3]/[Al2O3]) increased from 2 to 6. The analysis of SEM indicates that the production of Al–Sc master alloy is composed of the aluminum and the Al3Sc. The distribution of Sc in Al–Sc master alloy is uniform.
KeywordsAl–Sc master alloy Electrolytic parameters Na3AlF6-K3AlF6-AlF3 melt Electrolysis
The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support from the State Natural Science Fund (No. 51674301).
- 1.Rã¸Yset J, Ryum N (2005) Scandium in aluminium alloys. Metall Rev 50(1):19–44Google Scholar
- 5.Teng GC, Chai YC, Yang Y et al (2010) Preparation of Al-Sc master alloy. World Nonferrous Met 1:70–71 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 9.Cheng T, Lv ZJ, Zhai XJ, Zhang MJ, Tu GF (2010) Preparation of Al-Sc alloys investigated in the systems of CaCl2-LiF. J Mater Metall 9(1):39–42 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 10.Sun BL, Zhai YC, Tian YW (1998) Preparation of Al-Sc alloy in fluoride molten salts with molten salt electrolysis. Chin J Rare Met 22(3):191–193 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 11.Liu QC, Xue JL, Zhu J, et al (2012) Preparing aluminum-scandium inter-alloy during reduction process in KF-AlF3-Sc2O3 melts. Light Met 685–688Google Scholar
- 12.Yang S (2003) The research on direct electrolytic Al-Sc alloys in molten salt. Zhengzhou University (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 13.Lu GM, Liu XS (1999) Dissolution of Sc2O3 in fluoride molten salt. Chin J Nonferrous Met 9(3):624–626 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 14.Yang S, Li Q, Gu QS (2003) Solubility of Sc2O3 in n NaF∙AlF3-Al2O3 melts. Chin J Rare Met (4):418–420 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 15.Tian Z, Hu X, Lai Y, et al (2015) Solubility of Sc2O3 in Na3AlF6-K3AlF6-AlF3 melts. In: 6th international symposium on high-temperature metallurgical processing. Springer, Cham, pp 105–112Google Scholar
- 16.Tian Z, Lai Y, Zhang K, et al (2016) Preliminary study on preparation of Al-Sc master alloy in Na3AlF6-K3AlF6-AlF3 melt. In: 7th international symposium on high-temperature metallurgical processing. Springer, Cham, pp 157–163Google Scholar