Saving the Children: The Challenges of Educating Refugee Youth
The overwhelming migration of refugees from wars and famine, of which one third are children, are ruinous to their countries and impacting to the host countries. These children and youth arrive in western countries with diverse languages, cultures, and backgrounds, often showing the signs of severe trauma. The authors questioned: “How do hosting countries could assist refugee children integration into the new culture, language, and schools” and, “And are the host countries prepared to welcome this immigrant population by offering bilingual and bicultural education? In this article, the authors explore the complexity of preparing to receive and integrate these children and youth in hosting countries. The authors share their experiences in a refugee camp in the island of Lesvos, Greece where they taught English and assessed the literacy skills of unaccompanied minors who fled from Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Syria.
KeywordsRefugee youth Unaccompanied immigrant children Refugee education Literacy assessment Teaching english as a second language Bilingual education Asylum seeking children Refugee minors trauma Holistic literacy assessment Nurturing school environment
- Collins, L. (2017, February 17). Europe’s child-refugee crisis. New Yorker Magazine. Retrieved from http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/27/europes-child-refugee-crisis.
- Dryden-Peterson, S. (2015). The educational experiences of refugee children in Countries of First Asylum. Washington, DC: Migration Policy Institute.Google Scholar
- Eurostat Press Release. (2016, May 11). Asylum applicants considered to be unaccompanied minors 63,300 unaccompanied minors among asylum seekers registered in the EU in 2016 Over half are Afghans or Syrians. Retrieved from http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/2995521/7244677/3-02052016-AP-EN.pdf/.
- Flannery, M. (2016). How trauma is changing children’s brains. NEA Today.Google Scholar
- Flannery, M. (2017, January). Trauma: The effect on children and learning (pp. 42–45). NEA Today.Google Scholar
- Krashen, S., & ERIC Clearinghouse on Rural Education and Small Schools, C. W. (1997). Why bilingual education? ERIC digest.Google Scholar
- Martinez, O., Wu, E., Sandfort, T., Dodge, B., Carballo-Dieguez, A., Pinto, R. … Chavez-Baray, S. (2015). Evaluating the impact of immigration policies on health status among undocumented immigrants: A systematic review. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 17(3), 947–970. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10903-013-9968-4.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mitchell, C. (2015). Undocumented students strive to adjust. Education Week, 34(29), 1, 14–15.Google Scholar
- Ortega, F., & Tanaka, R. (2015). Immigration and the political economy of public education: Recent perspectives. In Elgar handbook on migration and social policy (pp. 1–25), IZA DP 8778. Retrieved from http://ftp.iza.org/dp8778.pdf.
- Parliamentary. (2016). Children in crisis: Unaccompanied migrant children in the EU. Retrieved from https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201617/ldselect/ldeucom/34/3405.htm.
- Pierce, S. (2015). Unaccompanied child migrants in U.S. communities, immigration courts, and schools. Washington, DC: Migration Policy Institute.Google Scholar
- Sutton, V., Robbins, I., Senior, V., & Gordon, S. (2006). A qualitative study exploring refugee minors’ personal accounts of post-traumatic growth and positive change processes in adapting to life in the UK. Diversity in Health and Social Care, 3(2), 77–88.Google Scholar
- Shinn, M. R., Collins, V. I., & Gallagher, S. (1998). Curriculum-based measurement and problem solving assessment. In M. R. Shinn (Ed.), Advanced applications of curriculum-based measurement (pp. 143–174). New York, NY: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- UNHCR. (2015). Lesvos Island fact sheet. Retrieved from http://www.unhcr.org/en-us/protection/operations/5645ddbc6/greece-factsheet-lesvos-island.html.
- UNHCR. (2015a). Global trends: Forced displacement in 2015. Retrieved from http://www.unhcr.org/en-us/statistics/unhcrstats/576408cd7/unhcr-global-trends-2015.html.
- UNHCR. (2016). Missing out: Refugee education in crisis. Retrieved from http://www.unhcr.org/57d9d01d0.
- UNHCR. (2017). Mediterranean refugee/migrant data portal. Retrieved from http://data2.unhcr.org/en/situations/mediterranean.
- UNICEF. (2017, March 25). Refugee and migrant children in Greece. Retrieved from https://data2.unhcr.org/en/documents/download/55913.
- United Nations Human Rights. (1989). Convention on the rights of the child. Retrieved from http://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/CRC.aspx.