Civil Society Involvement in Regional Governance
- 78 Downloads
This chapter offers background information on the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS). The chapter describes the ways in which these two connected regional arrangements have evolved and places emphasis on the institutional structures of these groupings. The chapter also assesses the ways in which these two bodies have either proposed or have sought to create participatory spaces at the regional level. In so doing, the chapter notes that despite some progress, these regional organisations tend to pursue ad hoc and somewhat inconsistent approaches to including civil society and CSOs in regional governance.
KeywordsCaribbean Community (CARICOM) Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) Regionalism Participation Civil society Civil society organisations Stakeholders
- Caribbean Environment Programme. 2017. “4th Meeting of OECS Environment Ministers focuses on Climate Change and Civil Society.” The Caribbean Environment Programme. Accessed December 10, 2017. http://www.cep.unep.org/oecs-commission-convenes-4th-meeting-of-environment-ministers-in-grenada.
- Caribbean News Now. 2015. “First OECS Climate Change Symposium on COP 21 Issues to Be Held on Wednesday.” Caribbean News Now, July 15. Accessed December 10, 2017. http://www.caribbeannewsnow.com/archive-news-26903-2015-7-15-0.html.
- CARICOM. 1973. Treaty Establishing the Caribbean Community. Georgetown: CARICOM. Accessed October 9, 2017. http://cms2.caricom.org/documents/4905-original_treaty-text.pdf.
- ———. 1995. “Communiqué Issued at the Conclusion of the Sixteenth Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community 4–7 July 1995, Georgetown, Guyana.” CARICOM Secretariat. Accessed July 10, 2012. http://www.caricom.org/jsp/communications/communiques/16hgc_1995_communique.jsp.
- ———. 1997. Charter of Civil Society for the Caribbean Community. Accessed June 10, 2015. http://cms2.caricom.org/images/publications/12504/12060-charter_of_civil_society.pdf.
- ———. 2001a. Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas Establishing the Caribbean Community Including the CARICOM Single Market and Economy. Georgetown: CARICOM Secretariat.Google Scholar
- ———. 2001b. Agreement Establishing the Caribbean Court of Justice. Georgetown: CARICOM.Google Scholar
- ———. 2016. “CARICOM Tackles Regional Social Dialogue and Social Protection.” Press Release. Release Ref #: 131/2016. CARICOM, September 16. Accessed November 22, 2017. http://www.caricom.org/media-center/communications/press-releases/caricom-tackles-regional-social-dialogue-and-social-protection/.
- ———. 2017. “Rules of Procedure for the Council for Human and Social Development (COHSOD).” Accessed October 12, 2017. http://caricom.org/rules-of-procedure-for-the-council-for-human-and-social-development-cohsod/.
- CARICOM Marijuana Commission. 2017. “Regional Commission on Marijuana: Terms of Reference.” CARICOM Marijuana Commission. Accessed November 19, 2017. http://caricom.org/tor_marijuana_commission.pdf.
- CDEMA. 2014. “Regional Comprehensive Disaster Management (CDM) Strategy and Programming Framework 2014–2024 (Draft).” Accessed November 27, 2017. http://www.cdema.org/CDMStrategy2014-2024.pdf.
- CPDC. 2011. “CARICOM Civil Society Project: Draft Regional Strategic Framework.” Ref: CIS/CCS/1.10.2 SER09.10. Regional Strategic Framework to Promote Civil Society Participation in the CARICOM Single Market and Economy. Bridgetown, Barbados.Google Scholar
- CRNM. 2009. “Memorandum of Understanding Between the Caribbean Congress of Labour and the Caribbean Regional Negotiating Machinery.” Accessed November 22, 2017. http://www.caribbeancongressoflabour.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/mou_between_ccl_and_crnm_-_12_feb_09.pdf.
- ECCB. 2017. “Social Partners in Grenada Discuss ECCU Growth Action Plan.” Eastern Caribbean Central Bank, September 11. Accessed December 10, 2017. https://www.eccb-centralbank.org/news/view/social-partners-in-grenada-discuss-eccu-growth-action-plan.
- Gilbert-Roberts, Terri-Ann. 2013. The Politics of Integration: Caribbean Sovereignty Revisited. Kingston: Ian Randle Publishers.Google Scholar
- Government of St. Lucia. 2015. “Climate Change Negotiators Meet.” Ministry of Sustainable Development, Energy, Science and Technology, July 15. Accessed December 10, 2017. http://sustainabledevelopment.govt.lc/news/climate-change-negotiators-meet.
- Government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines. 2017. “News: National Consultation for ECCU Growth Dialogue Action Plan.” The Official Website of the Government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, September 8. Accessed December 10, 2017. http://www.gov.vc/index.php/news/645-national-consultation-for-eccu-growth-dialogue-action-plan.
- Healthy Caribbean Coalition. 2015. “A Civil Society Report on National NCD Commissions in the Caribbean: Towards a More Effective Multisectoral Response to NCDs.” Healthy Caribbean Coalition. Accessed October 12, 2017. http://www.archive.healthycaribbean.org/meetings-june-2015/june-5/.
- Hinds Harrison, Kristina. 2013. “Civil Society Consultation in the Caribbean Community (CARICOM): Why Conceptual Clarity Matters.” Journal of Eastern Caribbean Studies 38 (1–2): 1–34.Google Scholar
- OECS. 1981. Treaty Estabilishing the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (with Annex). Concluded at Basseterre on June 18, 1981. OECS.Google Scholar
- ———. 2015. “First OECS Climate Change Symposium on COP 21 Matters to Be Held on Wednesday July 15th 2015.” Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States. Accessed December 10, 2017. http://www.oecs.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=115.
- ———. 2016a. “Revised Treaty of Basseterre Establishing the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States Economic Union.” OECS. Accessed October 2, 2017. https://www.oecs.org/lsu-resources?task=document.viewdoc&id=679.
- ———. 2016b. Social Development Unit. Accessed August 15, 2016. http://www.oecs.org/sdu.
- ———. 2016c. “The OECS Multi-country Strategic Response Towards HIV/TB Elimination Project.” Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States. Accessed December 19, 2017. http://www.oecs.org/hiv-tb-about.
- OTN. 2010. “Press Release No. 08/2010: Civil Society, NSAs and OTN Consult in Barbados.” Accessed November 22, 2017. https://www.scribd.com/document/38077982/Press-Release-1008-Civil-Society-Nsas-and-Otn-Consult-in-Barbados.
- PANCAP. n.d. “Caribbean Regional Strategic Framework on HIV and AIDS 2014–2018.” Pan Caribbean Partnership Against HIV/AIDS. Accessed November 19, 2017. https://pancap.org/pc/pcc/media/pancap_document/Caribbean-Regional-Strategic-Framework-2014-2018_attachment.pdf.
- ———. 2017. “History of PANCAP.” The Pan Caribbean Partnership Against HIV and AIDS. Accessed November 19, 2017. https://pancap.org/who-we-are/about-pancap/history-of-pancap/.
- West Indian Commission, CARICOM. 1993. Time for Action: Report of the West Indian Commission/with a Postscript by Sir Shridath Ramphal. Kingston: University of the West Indies Press.Google Scholar