Creating Interactive Adaptive Real Time Story Worlds
This workshop aims at exploring and addressing the challenges of creating interactive adaptive real-time story worlds. Participants will through various activities create their own concept of such experiences while investigating the potential of the field. The workshop will furthermore invite for international collaborations focusing of creating novel formats for interactive adaptive real-time digital storytelling.
KeywordsInteractive digital storytelling Adaptive real-time story worlds The narrative paradox Storytelling Real-time film- and animation production
We would like to thank the Nordisk Film Foundation for supporting the VIZARTs project (VIsualiZation & Adaptive Real-Time Storytelling) and we are grateful for colleagues’ and students’ work on the project at Aalborg University. Finally, we would like to thank our partner, Samsung, who have provided equipment for many of the Interactive Digital Storytelling experiments conducted in the SMILE Lab.
- Unreal Engine: Zafari. Tapping into Unreal Engine for Episodic Animation - Project Spotlight (2018). Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfqj3CFZyxU
- Oats Studios/Unity: Project Adam (2018). Video: https://unity.com/madewith/adam
- Schoenau-Fog, H.: Adaptive storyworlds - utilizing the space-time continuum in interactive digital storytelling. In: Schoenau-Fog, H., Bruni, L.E., Louchart, S., Baceviciute, S. (eds.) ICIDS 2015. LNCS, vol. 9445, pp. 58–65. Springer, Cham (2015). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-27036-4_6CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ninja Theory: Introducing Realtime Cinematography in Hellblade (2016). Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeNXEjNkEs0
- Schoenau-Fog, H.: Hooked! – evaluating engagement as continuation desire in interactive narratives. In: Si, M., Thue, D., André, E., Lester, J.C., Tanenbaum, J., Zammitto, V. (eds.) ICIDS 2011. LNCS, vol. 7069, pp. 219–230. Springer, Heidelberg (2011). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-25289-1_24CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Unity: ‘Book of the Dead’ (2018). Video: https://unity3d.com/book-of-the-dead
- Murray, J.H.: Hamlet on the Holodeck: The Future of Narrative in Cyberspace. MIT press, Cambridge (2017)Google Scholar
- Laurel, B.: Computers as Theatre. Addison-Wesley, Upper Saddle River (2013)Google Scholar