Deciphering Change in the Alaskan Landscape
The Alaskan landscape challenges those who try to depict the experience of place through visual language. How artists decipher the complex intricacies of a changing climate in an already dynamic landscape is vital to understanding past and future concepts of change in Alaska. Daily patterns and cycles are becoming more unpredictable, making it difficult to visualize, measure, and adapt to new ways of living on and with the land. How artists see, comprehend, deconstruct, and communicate these complicated narratives aides in understanding the stress of human-caused climate change on the northern landscape.
Sections of this chapter have been previously published in artArctica, a Finland based art dialog and blog for artists based in, or inspired by, the Arctic, www.artArctica.com; and in an interview with the United Nations Framework Convention of Climate Change in partnership with Julie’s Bicycle, for an #Art4Climate initiative, www.unfccc.int.
- 1.State of Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development, Research and Analysis, Juneau, AK (2017). http://live.laborstats.alaska.gov/pop/
- 2.Wells, N.: How Natural and Built Environments Impact Human Health. Department of Design & Environmental Analysis, Outreach & Extension, Cornell University College of Human Ecology (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.Rosen, Y.: Alaska Murre Die-Off Led to Reproductive Failure for Survivors. Alaska Dispatch News, May 2017Google Scholar
- 5.Linden, E.: Climate warnings: heard, but not listened to. Yale Climate Connections (2015). https://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2015/05/climate-warnings-heard-but-not-listened-to/
- 7.Klein, Naomi: This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs The Climate, p. 3. Simon & Schuster Paperbacks, New York (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Collier, M.: The Melting Edge: Alaska at the Frontier of Climate Change, p. 15. Alaska Geographic Association (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Berger, J., Dibb, M.: Ways of seeing. BBC Enterprises, London (1972)Google Scholar
- 10.Bunting, M.: The rise of climate-change art. The Guardian (2009). https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2009/dec/02/climate-change-art-earth-rethink