Introduction: A Holistic Approach to Examining Workforce Inter-Personnel Diversity
- 776 Downloads
A holistic approach to examining workforce inter-personnel diversity is needed as organizations seek to improve their productivity. Each employee provides value to the organization and that value should be recognized and rewarded. One concern with workforce inter-personnel diversity is that some individuals think that it is just another way to (re)package the construct of “skill set diversity” among and between employees within the same position. However, skill set diversity is typically aligned with a specific skill set. When I refer to workforce inter-personnel diversity, I am looking beyond just the skills necessary to perform the specific tasks of the position. I am also referring to location in and of the position. I am referring to the ability to transition beyond the minimum skill set required to maintain the position. Some employees have the minimum skill set and can maintain that level of performance, but as the position is escalated to require additional skills, the employee may not have the capacity to be further developed for that particular position any more. I am also looking at how that person would self-develop if their position were to be eliminated for a new type of position within the organization or replaced by technology.
- Angwin, J., Larson, J., Mattu, S. & Kirchner, L. (2016). Machine bias: There’s software used across the country to predict future criminals: And it’s biased against blacks. ProPublica Retrieved on October 15, 2018 from https://www.propublica.org/article/machine-bias-risk-assessments-in-criminal-sentencing.
- Becker, B. E., Huselid, M. A., & Beatty, R. W. (2009). The differentiated workforce: Transforming talent into strategic impact. Boston, MA: Harvard Business Press.Google Scholar
- Bolt, J. F., & Rummler, G. A. (1982). How to close the gap in human performance. Management Review, 71(1), 38–44.Google Scholar
- Boudreaux, M. A. (2001). Career development: What is its role in human resource development? In O. A. Aliaga (Ed.), Academy of HRD 2001 conference proceedings (pp. 805–812). Bowling Green, OH: Academy of Human Resource Development.Google Scholar
- Buranyi, S. (2018). Rise of the racist robots—How AI is learning all our worst impulses. The Guardian. Retrieved on October 15, 2018 from https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/aug/08/rise-of-the-racist-robots-how-ai-is-learning-all-our-worst-impulses.
- Dastin, J. (2018). Amazon scraps secret AI recruiting tool that showed bias against women. San Fransico, CA: Reuters. Retrieved on October 9, 2018 from https://www.reuters.com/article/us-amazon-com-jobs-automation-insight/amazon-scraps-secret-ai-recruiting-tool-that-showed-bias-against-women-idUSKCN1MK08G.
- Delery, J. E., & Shaw, J. D. (2001). The strategic management of people in work organizations: Review, synthesis and extension. In G. R. Ferris (Ed.), Research in personnel and human resource management (Vol. 20, pp. 167–197). New York, NY: JAI Press.Google Scholar
- Hughes, C. (2009). Critical human performance issues in the United States. In V. Wang (Ed.), Human performance models revealed in the global context (pp. 63–80). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.Google Scholar
- Hughes, C. (2014, Spring). Conceptualizing the five values of people and technology development: Implications for human resource management and development. Workforce Education Forum, 37(1), 23–44.Google Scholar
- Hughes, C. (Preface). (2018). The role of HRD in using diversity intelligence to enhance leadership skill development and talent management strategy. Advances in Developing Human Resources, 20(3), 259–262.Google Scholar
- Maslow, A. H. (1987). Motivation and personality (3rd ed.). New York, NY: Harper & Row.Google Scholar
- O*NET (2018). The O*NET resource center. Retrieved on September 20, 2018 from https://www.onetcenter.org/overview.html.
- Osterman, P. (2014). Securing prosperity: The American labor market: How it has changed and what to do about it. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- U.S. Department of Labor (2018). Unemployment insurance weekly claims. Retrieved from https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/OPA/newsreleases/ui-claims/20181534.pdf.
- Vynck, G. D. (2018). IBM is being sued for age discrimination after firing thousands. New York, NY: Bloomberg. Retrieved on September 17, 2018 from https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-17/ibm-is-being-sued-for-age-discrimination-after-firing-thousands.