The Ruin-Industrial Aesthetic: Ruins, and Ruin-Like Environments, Acquiring Aesthetic Value
- 278 Downloads
This chapter reinforces the conclusions of Chap. 5 by describing contemporary examples of buildings, parks, and cultural-heritage sites that reflect the process of transition outlined in that chapter’s philosophical argument. These are examples of places that now exhibit what I call a ruin-industrial aesthetic: museums, converted housing, and, especially, two former factories in Pennsylvania.
KeywordsCarrie Furnaces Bethlehem Steel SteelStacks Tate Modern High Line SoHo Tank Center for Sonic Arts Berlin
- Action News, WTAE-TV Pittsburgh. “Carrie Furnaces Named Historic Landmark: Rankin Site Now Open for Tours.” n.d.Google Scholar
- Art Works Blog of the National Endowment for the Arts. “Back to Bethlehem.” September 15, 2010. https://www.arts.gov/art-works/2010/back-bethlehem.
- Fire Features website. Accessed September 7, 2018. https://www.firefeatures.com/works/fire-bridge-at-bethlehem-steel/.
- Graham, Laurie. Singing the City: The Bonds of Home in an Industrial Landscape. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press, 1998.Google Scholar
- Gross, Rebecca. “Smokestack Lightning: The Rebirth of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.” NEA Arts Magazine, October 19, 2012. https://www.arts.gov/NEARTS/2012v3-arts-and-culture-core/smokestack-lightning.
- Harbison, Robert. Eccentric Spaces. New York: Knopf, 1977.Google Scholar
- Hudson, James R. The Unanticipated City: Loft Conversions in Lower Manhattan. Amherst, MA: University of Massachusetts Press, 1987.Google Scholar
- National Historic Landmark Nomination: Carrie Blast Furnaces 6 and 7. Accessed September 7, 2018. https://www.nps.gov/nhl/find/statelists/pa/CarrieBlast.pdf.
- Ross, Alex. “A Water Tank Turned Music Venue: In Colorado, a Uniquely Resonant Performance Space.” The New Yorker, July 24, 2017. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/07/24/a-water-tank-turned-music-venue.
- SteelStacks Website. Accessed September 7, 2018. http://www.steelstacks.org/about/what-is-steelstacks/.
- Tanksounds Website. Accessed September 7, 2018. https://tanksounds.org/.
- Zukin, Sharon. Loft Living: Culture and Capital in Urban Change. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1982.Google Scholar