Detroit: New Ruins and Old Problems
- 274 Downloads
This chapter provides a detailed account of the ruins of Detroit and “ruin porn.” It establishes that interest in Detroit’s ruins fits within the tradition of ruins outlined in Chap. 2. It also emphasizes that some people have viewed Detroit’s ruins positively; others, negatively, and explores the reasons for this difference of opinion. It closes by speculating about what we should do about situations like Detroit’s.
KeywordsDetroit Ruins Ruin porn
- Allen, Robert. “Take a Legal, Public Hard-Hat Tour of Packard Plant.” The Detroit Free-Press, September 26, 2017. https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2017/09/26/packard-plant-detroit-tour-public/700341001/.
- Apel, Dora. Beautiful Terrible Ruins: Detroit and the Anxiety of Decline. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 2015.Google Scholar
- Binelli, Mark. Detroit City Is the Place to Be: The Afterlife of an American Metropolis. New York: Metropolitan Books/Henry Holt and Company, 2012.Google Scholar
- Dillon, Brian. Ruin Lust: Artists’ Fascination with Ruins, from Turner to the Present Day. London: Tate Publishing, 2014.Google Scholar
- Harries, Karsten. The Ethical Function of Architecture. Cambridge: The MIT Press, 1997.Google Scholar
- Kurth, Joel. “Detroit Pays High Price for Arson Onslaught.” The Detroit News, February 18, 2015. http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/special-reports/2015/02/18/arson-fires-detroit-cost/22596529/.
- Leary, John Patrick. “Detroitism.” Guernica: A Magazine of Art and Ideas, January 15, 2011. https://www.guernicamag.com/features/leary_1_15_11/.
- Loos, Ted. “Picturing Motor City: Julia Reyes Taubman Trains Her Lens on Detroit.” Vogue, November 15, 2011. http://www.vogue.com/873706/picturing-motor-city-julia-reyes-taubman-trains-her-lens-on-detroit/.
- Lynch, Will. “Bringing It all Back Home: How Techno Is Poised to Return to Detroit.” The Guardian, December 8, 2014. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/dec/08/techno-detroit-return-berlin-tresor.
- Macaulay, Rose. Pleasure of Ruins. New York: Walker and Company, 1966.Google Scholar
- Marchand, Yves, and Romain Meffre. The Ruins of Detroit. Göttingen: Steidl, 2010.Google Scholar
- Merewether, Charles. “Traces of Loss.” In Irresistible Decay: Ruins Reclaimed, edited by Michael S. Roth, Claire Lyons, and Charles Merewether. Los Angeles, CA: The Getty Research Institute for the History of Art and the Humanities, 1997.Google Scholar
- Moore, Andrew. Detroit Disassembled. Bologna: Damiani/Akron Art Museum, 2010.Google Scholar
- Morton, Thomas. “Something, Something, Something, Detroit.” Vice, July 31, 2009. https://www.vice.com/read/something-something-something-detroit-994-v16n8.
- Murphy, Annie. “This Spanish Developer Helped Rebuild Lima and Now He’s Betting Big on Remaking Detroit.” PRI’s The World, December 27, 2013. https://www.pri.org/stories/2013-12-27/spanish-developer-helped-rebuild-lima-and-now-he-s-betting-big-remaking-detroit.
- Packard: The Last Shift. Directed by Brian Kaufman. Detroit: Detroit Free-Press, 2014.Google Scholar
- Paumgarten, Nick. “Detroit Valentine.” The New Yorker, December 12, 2011. http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/12/12/detroit-valentine.
- Reindl, J.C. “60 Urban Explorers Get Rare Tour of Packard Plant.” The Detroit Free-Press, October 24, 2015. http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/2015/10/24/60-urban-explorers-receive-guided-tour-packard-plant/74539126/.
- Semuels, Alana. “Detroit’s Abandoned Buildings Draw Tourists Instead of Developers.” The Los Angeles Times, December 25, 2013. http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-detroit-ruin-tours-20131226-story.html.
- Taubman, Julia Reyes. Detroit: 138 Square Miles. Detroit: Museum of Contemporary Art/D.A.P., 2011.Google Scholar
- Techno City: What Is Detroit Techno? Directed by Third Ear Recordings. n.d.Google Scholar
- Vergara, Camilo José. “Downtown Detroit: ‘American Metropolis’ or Vacant Land—What to Do with the World’s Third Largest Concentration of Pre-Depression Skyscrapers?” In Metropolis, 1995, 33–38.Google Scholar
- ———. American Ruins. New York: Monacelli Press, 1999.Google Scholar
- Young, Coleman. Hard Stuff. New York: Viking, 1994.Google Scholar