Parcel Lockers, an Answer to the Pressure on the Last Mile Delivery?
Over the last decade, e-commerce has spurred the growth in parcel lockers. This relatively new phenomenon has the potential to significantly impact different aspects of the traditional postal delivery model. First of all, preliminary research shows that consumers approach parcel lockers positively, although it is yet only used by a rather small part of end users. Secondly, parcel locker delivery is estimated to be more cost efficient than traditional home delivery. Thirdly, parcel lockers are expected to have a positive impact on ecological sustainability. This paper gives an overview of the parcel locker landscape of several countries with differing postal market characteristics. The paper continues with an analysis of the sustainability and cost efficiency of parcel lockers. Finally, some potential regulatory challenges are outlined.
The views expressed in this paper are personal and do not necessarily represent the position of the institution to which the authors belong.
- Bengtsson, C., & Vikingson, A. (2015). Exploring and evaluating the parcel locker: A Swedish consumer perspective. Lund, Sweden: Faculty of Engineering, Lund University.Google Scholar
- BIPT. (2017). Communication by the BIPT Council of 7 February 2017 on the qualitative survey of consumer perceptions within the Belgian postal market. Brussels, Belgium: BIPT.Google Scholar
- Cullen International. (2016). Spanish NRA decides not to impose access to Correos’ parcel lockers service. Brussels, Belgium: Cullen International.Google Scholar
- Gevaers, R., Van de Voorde, E., & Vanelslander, T. (2014). Cost modelling and simulation of last-mile characteristics in an innovative B2C supply chain environment with implications on urban areas and cities. Procedia: Social and Behavioral Sciences, 125, 398–411.Google Scholar
- International Post Corporation. (January 2018). Cross-border e-commerce shopper survey 2017, key findings (https://www.ipc.be/sector-data/e-commerce/cross-border-e-commerce-shopper-survey).
- Joerss, M., Schröder, J., Neuhaus, F., Klink, C., & Mann, F. (2016). Parcel delivery, the future of last mile. New York, NY: McKinsey & Company.Google Scholar
- KPMG. (2017). Communication by the BIPT Council of 18 May 2017 regarding the results of the study on the Belgian market for parcel delivery in the context of e-commerce activities. Brussels, Belgium: BIPT.Google Scholar
- PTS. (2017). Svensk postmarknad 2017 - PTS-ER-2017-4. https://pts.se/sv/dokument/rapporter/post/2017/svensk-postmarknad-2017---pts-er-2017-4/
- United Nations. (2014). World urbanization prospects: The 2014 revision. https://www.un.org/development/desa/publications/2014-revision-world-urbanization-prospects.html