Testing of Smart TV Applications: Key Ingredients, Challenges and Proposed Solutions
Smart TV applications are software applications that have been designed to run on smart TVs which are televisions with integrated Internet features. Nowadays, the smart TVs are going to dominate the television market, and the number of connected TVs is growing exponentially. This growth is accompanied by the increase of consumers and the use of smart TV applications that drive these devices. Due to the increasing demand for smart TV applications especially with the rise of the Internet of Things (IoT) services, it is essential to building an application with a certain level of quality. Despite the analogy between the smart TV and mobile apps, testing smart TV applications is different in many aspects due to the different nature of user interaction and development environment. To develop the field and formulate the concepts of smart TV application testing, this paper aims to provide the essential ingredients, solutions, answers to the most critical questions, and open problems. In addition, we offer initial results and proof of concepts for a creeper algorithm to detect essential views of the applications. This paper serves as an effort to report the key ingredients and challenges of the smart TV application testing systematically to the research community.
KeywordsSmart tv application testing Software testing Model-based testing Internet of Things (IoT)
This research is conducted as a part of the project TACR TH02010296 Quality Assurance System for Internet of Things Technology.
- 1.Jung, K.S.: The prospect of Smart TV service. Inf. Commun. Mag. 28(3), 3–7 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Amalfitano, D., Fasolino, A.R., Tramontana, P., Robbins, B.: Chapter 1 - testing android mobile applications: challenges, strategies, and approaches. In: Advances in Computers, vol. 89, pp. 1–52. Elsevier (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Ingrosso, A., Volpi, V., Opromolla, A., Sciarretta, E., Medaglia, C.M.: UX and usability on Smart TV: a case study on a T-commerce application, pp. 312–323. Springer, Cham (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.Sabina, K.C.: Defining a testing platform for Smart TV applications. Bachelor thesis, Helsinki Metropolia University of Applied Sciences, January 2016Google Scholar
- 12.Bluttman, K., Cottrell, L.M.: UX and usability on Smart TV: a case study on a T-commerce application. McGraw Hill Professional, Cham (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Murgrabia, M.: Design considerations for Vewd app store applications (2017). Accessed 5 Dec 2017Google Scholar
- 15.Moran, K., Tufano, M., Bernal-Cardenas, C., Linares-Vasquez, M., Bavota, G., Vendome, C., Di Penta, M., Poshyvanyk, D.: Mdroid+: a mutation testing framework for android. In: 40th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE) (2018)Google Scholar