Threshold Based Load Balancer for Efficient Resource Utilization of Smart Grid Using Cloud Computing
Cloud computing is infrastructure which provides services to end users and increases the efficiency of the system. Fog computing is the extension of cloud computing which distributes load of cloud servers on different fog servers and enhance the overall performance of cloud. Smart Grid (SG) is the combination of traditional grid and information,communication and technology. The purpose of integration of cloud-fog based system and smart grid in this paper is to enhance the energy management services. In this paper a four layered cloud-fog based architecture is proposed to reduce the load of power requests. Three different load balancing algorithms: Round Robin (RR), Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) and Threshold Based Load Balancer (TBLB) are used for efficient resource utilization. The service broker policies used in this paper are: Dynamically Reconfigure with Load and Advanced Service Proximity. While comparing the results on both broker policies TBLB performs betters in term of Response Time (RT) and Processing Time (PT). However, Trade-off is comparative in Cost, RT and PT.
KeywordsCloud computing Fog computing Response time Processing time Smart grid Micro grid Round Robin Particle swarm optimization Threshold based load balancer
- 3.Cao, Z., et al.: Optimal cloud computing resource allocation for demand side management in smart grid. IEEE Trans. Smart Grid 8(4), 1943–1955 (2017)Google Scholar
- 4.Okay, F.Y., Ozdemir, S.: A fog computing based smart grid model. In: 2016 International Symposium on Networks, Computers and Communications (ISNCC). IEEE (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Zahoor, S., Javaid, N., Khan, A., Muhammad, F.J., Zahid, M., Guizani, M.: A cloud-fog-based smart grid model for efficient resource utilization. In: 14th IEEE International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC-2018)Google Scholar
- 6.Fatima, I., Javaid, N., Iqbal, M.N., Shafi, I., Anjum, A., Memon, U.: Integration of cloud and fog based environment for effective resource distribution in smart buildings. In: 14th IEEE International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC-2018)Google Scholar
- 10.Okay, F.Y., Ozdemir, S.: A fog computing based smart grid model. In: 2016 International Symposium on Networks, Computers and Communications (ISNCC), pp. 1–6. IEEE (2016)Google Scholar