Sino-Indian Relations and EU Development Policies in Post-Conflict Nepal
- 512 Downloads
Since the establishment of official ties in 1973, the European Union (EU) has emerged as an important development partner for Nepal. The EU was instrumental during the Nepali Civil War, as it pressured both parties to maintain restraint and encouraged political dialogue. After the signing of the peace agreement in 2006, the EU facilitated the post-war reconstruction and political reconciliation in Nepal by actively promoting the need for an inclusive constitution. Despite enjoying substantial political support within Nepal, as this chapter showcases, the EU’s normative role is constrained by the significant geopolitical influences of Nepal’s powerful neighbors, India and China. Given the competing interests of the two emerging powers, the EU thus operates in a country that is part of a regional geopolitical tussle.
- American Enterprise Institute. 2017. China Global Investment Tracker. http://www.aei.org/china-global-investment-tracker/. Accessed 9 Feb 2017.
- Baral, Biswas. 2017. After the ‘Blockade: China’s Push into Nepal. The Diplomat. http://thediplomat.com/2017/02/after-the-blockade-chinas-push-into-nepal/. Accessed 9 Feb 2017.
- Council of the EU. 2016. Joint Statement: 13th EU-India Summit. http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/meetings/international-summit/2016/03/20160330-joint-statement-eu-india_pdf/. Accessed 9 Feb 2017.
- Delegation of the EU to Nepal. 2016. Nepal and the EU. https://eeas.europa.eu/delegations/nepal/1590/nepal-and-eu_en. Accessed 9 Feb 2017.
- EEAS. 2010. Mid-Term Review Document: IP 2011–2013. Brussels.Google Scholar
- ———. 2014. Multiannual Indicative Programme (MIP) 2014–2020: Nepal. December 11. Brussels.Google Scholar
- ———. 2016. EU Projects with Nepal. Mai 12. https://eeas.europa.eu/headquarters/headquarters-homepage_en/1591/EUpercent20Projectspercent20withpercent20Nepal. Accessed 2 Feb 2017.
- Embassy of Nepal: Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, & the EU. 2016. Nepal-EU (EU) Relations. http://www.nepalembassybrussels.be/index.php?page=text&id=38. Accessed 9 Feb 2017.
- European Commission. 2007. Nepal Country Strategy Paper 2007–2013. Brussels.Google Scholar
- ———. 2015. Nepal Earthquake: The EU’s Emergency Response. http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-15-4910_en.htm. Accessed 7 Feb 2017.
- ———. 2017. European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations: Nepal. http://ec.europa.eu/echo/where/asia-and-oceania/nepal_en. Accessed 7 Feb 2016.
- Hachhethu, Krishna. 2009. The EU’s Role in Democracy Building in Nepal. International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance, Stockholm.Google Scholar
- Human Rights Watch. 2004. Between a Rock and a Hard Place. Human Rights Watch Magazine 16(12).Google Scholar
- Indian Ministry of External Affairs. 1950. Treaty of Peace and Friendship. http://mea.gov.in/bilateral-documents.htm?dtl/6295/Treaty+of+Peace+and+Friendship. Accessed 10 July 2017.
- Iyengar, Rishi. 2016. What the Nepalese Prime Minister’s Visit to China Says About the Wider Politics of Asia. Time. http://time.com/4270239/nepal-prime-minister-oli-visit-china-beijing-india/. Accessed 4 Feb 2017.
- Killick, Tony. 1998. Aid and the Political Economy of Policy Change. London: Overseas Development Institute.Google Scholar
- Lazarou, Elena, Maria Gianniou, and Gerasimos Tsourapas. 2013. The Limits of Norm Promotion: The EU in Egypt and Israel/Palestine. Insight Turkey 15 (2): 171–193.Google Scholar
- Mawdsley, Emma. 2014. Development and the India-EU Strategic Partnership: Missing Incentives and Divergent Identities. European Strategic Partnership Observatory Policy Brief. October. Madrid.Google Scholar
- Pradhan, Shirish B. 2016. Nepal Summons EU Envoy Over Joint Statement with India. India Today. http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/nepal-summons-eu-envoy-over-joint-statement-with-india/1/635970.html. Accessed 3 Feb 2017.
- The People’s Republic of China – Ministry of Commerce. 2011. 2010 Statistical Bulletin of China’s Outward Foreign Direct Investment. http://english.mofcom.gov.cn/article/statistic/foreigninvestment/201109/20110907742320.shtml. Accessed 5 Feb 2017.
- Tocci, Nathalie. 2008. Profiling Normative Foreign Policy: The EU and Its Global Partners. In Who Is a Normative Foreign Policy Actor? The EU and Its Global Partners, ed. Nathalie Tocci, 1–23. Brussels: Centre for European Policy Studies.Google Scholar
- UNICEF Nepal. 2016. EU and UNICEF Help to Restore Education in Post-Earthquake Nepal with Launch of a 4 Million Euro Project. http://unicef.org.np/blogs/2016/02/01/eu-and-unicef-help-to-restore-education-in-post-earthquake-nepal-with-launch-of-a-4-million-euro-project. Accessed 8 Feb 2017.