European Involvement in China’s Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank: Geopolitical Pragmatism or Normative Engagement?
- 472 Downloads
This chapter explores the process as well as impact of many European countries joining as founding members of China’s Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank. In a first part, the Bank’s establishment is being traced. The chapter then goes on to analyze the motivation of China to propose to found the AIIB as well as the motivation of Europeans to join the Bank. Finally, the chapter assesses the influence of the membership of some EU member states on the AIIB’s foundational documents and initial practice. In particular, it takes a look at the AIIB’s Articles of Agreement, its Environmental and Social Framework, but also general practices and statements by AIIB representatives. It concludes with a summary of findings.
- AIIB. 2015. Articles of Agreement (in English). Beijing.Google Scholar
- ———. 2016. Environmental and Social Framework (in English). February. Beijing.Google Scholar
- ———. 2018. Members and Prospective Members of the Bank. Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank, October 8. https://www.aiib.org/en/aboutaiib/governance/members-of-bank/index.html. Accessed 9 Nov 2018.
- Bergsten, Fred. 2015. US Should Work with the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank. Financial Times, March 15. https://www.ft.com/content/4937bbde-c9a8-11e4-a2d9-00144feab7de. Accessed 2 Feb 2017.
- Chin, Gregory T. 2016. Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank: Governance Innovation and Prospects. Global Governance 22 (1): 11–26.Google Scholar
- Christensen, Thomas J. 2015. The China Challenge: Shaping the Choices of a Rising Power. New York: W. W. Norton.Google Scholar
- German Federal Ministry of Finance. 2016. AIIB Open for Business. Federal Ministry of Finance, January 18. http://www.bundesfinanzministerium.de/Content/EN/Standardartikel/Topics/International_affairs/Articles/2016-01-18-asian-infrastructure-investment-bank-aiib.html. Accessed 2 Feb 2017.
- Huang, Cary. 2015. Voting Rights Reflect Beijing’s Leading Role. South China Morning Post, June 30. http://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy-defence/article/1829316/voting-rights-reflect-beijings-leading-role-aiib. Accessed 22 Jan 2017.
- Lanteigne, Marc. 2016. Chinese Foreign Policy. 3rd ed. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Perlez, Jane. 2015. China Creates a World Bank of Its Own, and the US Balks. The New York Times, December 4. https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/05/business/international/china-creates-an-asian-bank-as-the-us-stands-aloof.html?_r=0. Accessed 24 Jan 2017.
- ———. 2016. Canada to Join China-Led Bank, Signaling Readiness to Bolster Ties. The New York Times, August 31. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/01/business/international/canada-china-aiib.html. Accessed 22 Jan 2017.
- Ramos, Leonardo, and Javier Vadell. 2016. Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) and Beyond: Finance, Infrastructure, and the Seductive Claws of the Chinese Dragon. Paper presented at the 57th Annual Convention of the International Studies Association, March 16–19. Atlanta, Georgia.Google Scholar
- Reuters. 2017. China-Led AIIB Approves 13 New Members, Canada joins. Beijing, March 23. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-aiib/china-led-aiib-approves-13-new-members-canada-joins-idUSKBN16U0CG. Accessed 5 Aug 2017.
- Shambaugh, David. 2013. China Goes Global: The Partial Power. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Smith, Jeff M. 2015. Beware China’s Grand Strategy. Foreign Affairs, May 20. https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/china/2015-05-20/beware-chinas-grand-strategy. Accessed 2 Feb 2017.
- The New York Times. 2017. EU Preparing Early China Summit in Message to Trump-Sources. February 15. https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2017/02/15/world/europe/15reuters-eu-china.html?_r=0. Accessed 28 Feb 2017.
- Watt, Nicholas, Paul Lewis, and Tania Branigan. 2015. US Anger at Britain Joining Chinese-Led Investment Bank AIIB. The Guardian, March 12. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/mar/13/white-house-pointedly-asks-uk-to-use-its-voice-as-part-of-chinese-led-bank. Accessed 1 Feb 2017.
- Wildau, Gabriel. 2015. China Backs Up Silk Road Ambitions with $62bn Capital Injection. The Financial Times, April 20. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0e73c028-e754-11e4-8e3f-00144feab7de.html#axzz428wEpYz2. Accessed 2 Feb 2017.
- Xinhua. 2015. Chronology of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank. December 25. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2015-12/25/c_134952611.htm. Accessed 30 Jan 2017.
- Yan, Xuetong. 2017. China Can Thrive in the Trump Era. The New York Times, January 25. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/opinion/china-can-thrive-in-the-trump-era.html. Accessed 1 Feb 20.