Classification of Findings with Localized Lesions in Fundoscopic Images Using a Regionally Guided CNN
Fundoscopic images are often investigated by ophthalmologists to spot abnormal lesions to make diagnoses. Recent successes of convolutional neural networks are confined to diagnoses of few diseases without proper localization of lesion. In this paper, we propose an efficient annotation method for localizing lesions and a CNN architecture that can classify an individual finding and localize the lesions at the same time. Also, we introduce a new loss function to guide the network to learn meaningful patterns with the guidance of the regional annotations. In experiments, we demonstrate that our network performed better than the widely used network and the guidance loss helps achieve higher AUROC up to \(4.1\%\) and superior localization capability.
- 2.Chen, L.C., Papandreou, G., Kokkinos, I., Murphy, K., Yuille, A.L.: DeepLab: semantic image segmentation with deep convolutional nets, atrous convolution, and fully connected CRFs. arXiv preprint arXiv:1606.00915 (2016)
- 4.Glorot, X., Bengio, Y.: Understanding the difficulty of training deep feedforward neural networks. In: Proceedings of the Thirteenth International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Statistics, pp. 249–256 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.He, K., Zhang, X., Ren, S., Sun, J.: Deep residual learning for image recognition. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 770–778 (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.Keskar, N.S., Mudigere, D., Nocedal, J., Smelyanskiy, M., Tang, P.T.P.: On large-batch training for deep learning: generalization gap and sharp minima. arXiv preprint arXiv:1609.04836 (2016)
- 10.Ren, S., He, K., Girshick, R., Sun, J.: Faster R-CNN: towards real-time object detection with region proposal networks. In: Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, pp. 91–99 (2015)Google Scholar
- 15.Zhou, B., Khosla, A., Lapedriza, A., Oliva, A., Torralba, A.: Learning deep features for discriminative localization. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 2921–2929 (2016)Google Scholar