- 30 Downloads
Cloud seeding with dry ice and silver iodide was conducted over the east coastal region of the United States during the periods January–April 1953 and December 1953–April 1954, to determine the effects of seeding on cyclone development. The experimental units employed were cases of potential cyclogenesis. After selection of the cases, seeded and control instructions were separated by a randomization procedure in consecutive pairs. Test variates were 24-hr area integrated precipitation and sea level pressure change. The data were reduced by the method of analysis of covariance. It was concluded from the statistical analysis that if the seeding had any effect on the large scale precipitation or on the pressure field, the effect was too small to be detected against the background of natural meteorological variance.
KeywordsSilver Iodide Trol Case Large Scale Precipitation Cloud Seeding Cyclone Development
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cunningham, R. M., and D. Atlas, 1954: Growth of hydro-meteors as calculated from aircraft and radar observations. Proc. Toronto meteor. Conf. 1953, 276–289.Google Scholar
- 2.Fisher, R. A., 1932: Statistical Methods for Research Workers. Oliver and Boyd, Ltd., Edinburgh.Google Scholar
- 3.Fisher, R. A., 1947; The Design of Experiments. Oliver and Boyd, Ltd., Edinburgh.Google Scholar
- 5.Langmuir, I., 1953: Analysis of the effects of periodic seeding of the atmosphere with silver iodide. Final Report, Project Cirrus, Part II, Report No. RL-785, Contract No. DA36-039-SC-15345, General Electric Research Laboratory, Schenectady, N. Y.Google Scholar
- 6.Spar, J., 1953: An experiment in large scale cloud seeding in the east coastal region of the United States. Tech. Rep. No. 1, Project Scud, Contract No. Nonr-285(09), New York University.Google Scholar
- 7.Spar, J., 1954: An experiment in large scale cloud seeding in the east coastal region of the United States. Analysis of experimental data for January–April 1954. Tech. Rep. No. 3, Project Scud, Contract No. Nonr-285 (09), New York University.Google Scholar
- 8.Vonnegut, B., 1951: Silver iodide smokes. Final Report, Project Cirrus, Report No. RL-566, Contract No. W-36-039-SC38141, General Electric Research Laboratory, Schnectady, N. Y.Google Scholar