Emerging Therapies and Combination Approaches
Apart from ipilimumab and the selective BRAF inhibitors vemurafenib and dabrafenib, which have shown prolonged overall survival and progression free survival, several new targeted agents are being tested in clinical Phase II studies and are moving rapidly into pivotal registration studies. Only therapeutics that have entered a clinical Phase I–III study by the beginning of 2013 are discussed in this chapter.
KeywordsCutaneous Melanoma Clinical Phase Advanced Melanoma BRAF V600 Mutation IgG4 Isotype Antibody
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Solit DB, Garraway LA, Pratilas CA, et al. BRAF mutation predicts sensitivity to MEK inhibition. Nature. 2006;439:358-362.Google Scholar
- 2.Flaherty KT, Robert C, Hersey P, et al; METRIC Study Group. Improved survival with MEK inhibition in BRAF-mutated melanoma. N Engl J Med. 2012;367:107-114.Google Scholar
- 3.Ascierto PA, Schadendorf D, Berking C, et al. MEK162 for patients with advanced melanoma harbouring NRAS or Val600 BRAF mutations: a non-randomised, open-label phase 2 study. Lancet Oncol. 2013;14:249-256.Google Scholar
- 4.Flaherty KT, Infante JR, Daud A, et al. Combined BRAF and MEK inhibition in melanoma with BRAF V600 mutations. N Engl J Med. 2012;367:1694-703.Google Scholar
- 5.Ribas A, Hodi FS, Callahan M, Konto C, Wolchok J. Hepatotoxicity with combination of vemurafenib and ipilimumab. N Engl J Med. 2013;368:1365-1366.Google Scholar
- 6.Patnaik A, Kang SP, Tolcher AW, et al. Phase I study of MK-3475 (anti-PD-1 monoclonal antibody) in patients with advanced solid tumors [ASCO abstract 2512]. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30(suppl).Google Scholar
- 7.Hamid O, Robert C, Daud A, et al. Safety and tumor responses with lambrolizumab (anti-PD-1) in melanoma. N Engl J Med. 2013 Jun 2. [Epub ahead of print].Google Scholar
- 8.Topalian SL, Hodi FS, Brahmer JR, et al. Safety, activity, and immune correlates of anti-PD-1 antibody in cancer. N Engl J Med. 2012;366:2443-2454.Google Scholar
- 9.Wolchok JD, Kluger H, Callahan MK, et al. Nivolumab plus ipilimumab in advanced melanoma. N Engl J Med. 2013 Jun 2. [Epub ahead of print].Google Scholar
- 10.Brahmer JR, Tykodi SS, Chow LQ, et al. Safety and activity of anti-PD-L1 antibody in patients with advanced cancer. N Engl J Med. 2012;366:2455-2465.Google Scholar
- 11.Herbst RS, Gordon MS, Fine GD, et al. A study of MPDL3280A, an engineered PD-L1 antibody in patients with locally advanced or metastatic tumors [ASCO abstract 3000]. J Clin Oncol. 2013;31(suppl).Google Scholar