Classification of rheumatoid arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a chronic inflammatory disease that affects approximately 1% of the adult population . Although there is no cure, patients may reach a state of remission, which has become an achievable goal with optimal early treatment. Early intervention in particular has made RA a less disabling disease and if treatment is instituted right from the onset, no functional impairment may occur and structural integrity may be preserved (Figures 1.1 and 1.2) . Over the past decade, early intensive treatment has also been proven to change the course of later RA [2,3], and therefore, the treatment goal should be to treat RA early and persistently until remission is present [4,5].
KeywordsRheumatoid Arthritis Rheumatoid Factor Lyme Disease Acute Phase Response European League
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kvien TK. Epidemiology and burden of illness of rheumatoid arthritis. Pharmacoeconomics. 2004;22(2 suppl):1-12.Google Scholar
- 2.Nell VP, Machold KP, Eberl G, Stamm TA, Uffmann M, Smolen JS. Benefit of very early referral and very early therapy with disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2004;43:906-914.Google Scholar
- 3.Landewe RB, Boers M, Verhoeven AC, et al. COBRA combination therapy in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis: long-term structural benefits of a brief intervention. Arthritis Rheum. 2002;46:347-356.Google Scholar
- 4.Smolen JS, Aletaha D, Bijlsma JW, et al. Treating rheumatoid arthritis to target: recommendations of an international task force. Ann Rheum Dis. 2010;69:631-637.Google Scholar
- 5.Smolen JS, Landewe R, Breedveld FC, et al. EULAR recommendations for the management of rheumatoid arthritis with synthetic and biological disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs. Ann Rheum Dis. 2010;69:964-975.Google Scholar
- 6.Hazlewood G, Aletaha D, Carmona L, et al. Algorithm for identification of undifferentiated peripheral inflammatory arthritis: a multinational collaboration through the 3e initiative. J Rheumatol Suppl. 2011;87:54-58.Google Scholar
- 7.Aletaha D, Huizinga TW. The use of data from early arthritis clinics for clinical research. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2009;23:117-123.Google Scholar
- 8.Funovits J, Aletaha D, Bykerk V, et al. The 2010 American College of Rheumatology/European League Against Rheumatism classification criteria for rheumatoid arthritis: methodological report phase I. Ann Rheum Dis. 2010;69:1589-1595.Google Scholar
- 9.Neogi T, Aletaha D, Silman AJ, et al. The 2010 American College of Rheumatology/European League Against Rheumatism classification criteria for rheumatoid arthritis: Phase 2 methodological report. Arthritis Rheum. 2010;62:2582-2591.Google Scholar
- 10.Aletaha D, Neogi T, Silman AJ, et al. 2010 rheumatoid arthritis classification criteria: an American College of Rheumatology/European League Against Rheumatism collaborative initiative. Ann Rheum Dis. 2010;69:1580-1588.Google Scholar