Template Learning using Wavelet Domain Statistical Models
- 1.1k Downloads
Wavelets have been used with great success in applications such as signal denoising, compression, estimation and feature extraction. This is because of their ability to capture singularities in the signal with a few coefficients. Applications that consider the statistical dependencies of wavelet coefficients have been shown to perform better than those which assume the wavelet coefficients as independent. In this paper, a novel Gaussian mixture model, specifically suited for template learning is proposed for modeling the marginal statistics of the wavelet coefficients. A Bayesian approach for inferring a low dimensional statistical template with a set of training images, using the independent mixture and the hidden Markov tree models extended to the template learning case, is developed. Results obtained for template learning and pattern classification using the low dimensional templates are presented. For training with a large data set, statistical templates generated using the proposed Bayesian approach are more robust than those generated using an information-theoretic framework in the wavelet domain.
KeywordsBayesian Approach Gaussian Mixture Model Training Image Viterbi Algorithm Wavelet Domain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Scott, C.: A hierarchical wavelet-based framework for pattern analysis and synthesis. M.S. thesis, Rice University, Houston, TX, USA (2000).Google Scholar
- 5.Romberg, J.: A universal hidden markov tree image model. M.S. thesis, Rice University, Texas, USA (1999).Google Scholar
- 6.LeCun, Y., Bottou, L., Bengio, Y. and Haffner, P.: Gradient-based learning applied to document recognition. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence. 86(11), 2278–2324 (1998).Google Scholar
- 7.Yale face database. Available online at http://cvc.yale.edu/projects/yalefaces/yalefaces.html.
- 8.Matlab code for wavelet-based template learning and pattern classification using TEMPLAR. Available online at http://dsp.rice.edu/software/templar.shtml.
- 9.Ramamurthy, K. N.: Template learning with wavelet domain statistical models for pattern synthesis and classification. M.S. thesis, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, USA (2008).Google Scholar
- 10.Ramamurthy, K. N., Thiagarajan, J. J. and Spanias, A.: Fast image registation with nonstationary Gauss-Markov random field templates. Accepted to the IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Cairo, Egypt (2009).Google Scholar