A Location-Aware Guide Based on Active RFIDs in Multi-Device Environments
In this chapter, we propose a multi-device, location-aware museum guide. It is a mobile guide able to opportunistically exploit large screens when they are nearby the user. Various types of games, which can exploit multi-device environments, are included in addition to the museum and artwork descriptions. The mobile guide is equipped with an RFID reader, which provides information useful to automatically detect nearby artworks. We also present example applications of this solution and then briefly discuss the results of first empirical tests performed to evaluate the usefulness and the usability of the enhanced mobile guide.
KeywordsReceive Signal Strength Indication Large Screen Museum Visit Shared Display Digital Museum
- 3.Poslad, S., H. Laamanen, R. Malaka, A. Nick, P. Buckle, A. Zipf: CRUMPET: Creation of User-Friendly Mobile Services Personalised for Tourism. In Proceedings of the 3G Mobile Communication Technologies, London, UK, 2001, pp. 26–29.Google Scholar
- 4.Pospischil, G., M. Umlauft, and E. Michlmayr: Designing LoL@, A Mobile Tourist Guide for UMTS. Information Technology & Tourism 5(3), Cognizant Communication Corporation, 2003, pp. 151–164Google Scholar
- 5.Bell, M., M. Chalmers, L. Barkhuus, M. Hall, S. Sherwood, P. Tennent, B. Brown, D. Rowland, S. Benford, M. Capra, and A. Hampshire: Interweaving Mobile Games With Everyday Life. In CHI 2006 Proceedings Games and Performances, Montréal, Canada, 2006.Google Scholar
- 6.Mantyiarvi, F. Paternò, Z. Salvador, and C. Santoro: Scan and Tilt – Towards Natural Interaction for Mobile Museum Guides. In Proceedings Mobile HCI 2006, Espoo. ACM, New York, September 2006, pp.191–194.Google Scholar
- 7.Bellotti, F., R. Berta, A. De Gloria, and M. Margarone: Guiding Visually Impaired People in the Exhibition. Mobile Guide 2006, Turin, Italy, 2006 (http://mobileguide06.di.unito.it/pdf/Bellotti&al.pdf).
- 8.Dini R., F. Paternò, and C. Santoro: An Environment to Support Multi-User Interaction and Cooperation for Improving Museum Visits through Games. In Proceedings Mobile HCI’07, Singapore. ACM, New York, September 2007.Google Scholar