Collaborative Modelling of Tasks with CTT: Tools and a Study
The design and systematic development of usable user interfaces (UI) is becoming increasingly important. The use of task models is considered to be the main approach for the specification of the presentation tier in interactive applications. The task modelling for the specification of the interaction in a complex application may require the participation of several designers/engineers. In this paper, the use of a generic modelling groupware tool, SPACE-DESIGN, is proposed for task modelling using CTT notation. To evaluate the benefit of the approach, a comparative study has been conducted with two groups of experienced users: the first group carried out a task modelling activity with SPACE-DESIGN and the other one with the CTTE tool shared by means of Microsoft NetMeeting. Results and conclusions of the study are discussed.
KeywordsApplication Domain Task Modelling Collaborative Modelling Collaborative Task Turn Taking
This work has been partially supported by the Ministerio de Educación y Ciencia (Spain) in the TIN2005-08945-C06-04 project and by the Junta de Comunidades de Castilla-La Mancha in the PBC08-0006-5212 project.
- 1.Avouris N, Margaritis M, Komis V (2004) Modelling interaction during small-groups synchronous problem-solving activities: The Synergo approach. In: Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Designing Computational Models of Collaborative Learning Interaction, Maceio, Brazil.Google Scholar
- 3.Dourish P, Bellotti V (1992). Awareness and coordination in shared workspaces. In: Proceedings of the Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work CSCW’92, Toronto, Canada. ACM Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 5.Gallardo J, Bravo C, Redondo MA (2007) An ontological approach for developing domain-independent groupware. In: Proceedings of the 16th IEEE International Workshops on Enabling Technologies: Infrastructures for Collaborative Enterprises (WETICE 2007), IEEE Computer Society, Paris, pp. 206–207.Google Scholar
- 6.Paternò F (2002) CTTE: Support for developing and analyzing task models for interactive system design. In: IEEE Transanctions on Software Engineering, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 1–17.Google Scholar
- 7.Paternò F (2004) ConcurTaskTrees: An engineered notation for task models. In: Diaper D and Stanton NA (eds.), The Handbook of Task Analysis for HCI. LEA, Mahwah, NJ, pp. 483–501.Google Scholar
- 8.Pinkwart N, Hoppe U, Bollen L, Fuhlrott E (2002) Group-oriented modelling tools with heterogeneous semantics. In: Cerri S, Gouardères G, Paraguaçu F (eds.), Intelligent Tutoring Systems. LNCS 2363. Springer, Berlin.Google Scholar