Radical Radiotherapy for Prostate Cancer
The incidence of prostate cancer is rising worldwide due to the ageing of the population and the increasing availability of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) screening. Prostate-specific antigen testing has led specifically to an increase in the proportion of patients diagnosed with early-stage (localized) prostate cancer. Radical radiotherapy is one of the curative treatment options for localized prostate cancer and it also has a role to play in locally advanced and even metastatic disease. This chapter reviews the relative merits of radiotherapy in comparison to the other management options for early prostate cancer and summarizes the staggering technological advances that have occurred in prostate radiotherapy over the last decade.
KeywordsProstate Cancer Radical Prostatectomy Radiat Oncol Biol Phys Radiation Therapy Oncology Group Radical Radiotherapy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Kupelian PA, Elshaikh M, Reddy CA, et al. Comparison of the efficacy of local therapies for localised prostate cancer in the prostate-specific antigen era: a large single-institution experience with radical prostatectomy and external-beam radiotherapy. J Clin Oncol 2002;20:3376–3385.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Lukka H, Hayter C, Warde P, et al. A randomised trial comparing two fractionation schedules for patients with localised prostate cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2003;57(suppl).Google Scholar
- 27.Lawton CA, Winter K, Murray K, et al. Updated results of the phase III Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG) trial 85-31 evaluating the potential benefit of androgen suppression following standard radiation therapy for unfavourable prognosis carcinoma of the prostate. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2001;49:937–946.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Hanks GE, Lu J, Machtay M, et al. RTOG protocol 92-02: a phase III trial of the use of long-term androgen suppression following neoadjuvant hormonal cytoreduction and radiotherapy in locally advanced carcinoma of the prostate. Proc Annu Meet Am Soc Clin Oncol 2000;19:1284.Google Scholar
- 32.Roach M III, Lu JD, Lawton C, et al. A phase III trial comparing whole-pelvic (WP) to prostate only (PO) radiotherapy and neoadjuvant to adjuvant total androgen suppression (TAS): preliminary analysis of RTOG 9413. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2001;51(suppl 1).Google Scholar