Defending Positive Cocaine Tests
People try to defend positive cocaine test results by claiming they drink herbal tea or visit a dentist who uses procaine as an anesthetic. Although a positive cocaine test result as confirmed urinary benzoylecgonine may result from drinking coca tea, the import of such tea in the United States is illegal. Nevertheless, there are few reports in the literature describing the presence of cocaine in certain herbal teas. Procaine does not contain cocaine and use of procaine cannot result in positive test results. Although some reports describe the presence of cocaine and other drugs of abuse in paper currencies of the United States and other countries, handling such paper money cannot produce a positive drug test in the urine.
KeywordsHealth inca tea Mate De Coca Positive cocaine
- 4.Evo Morales Ayma, The President of Bolivia; New York Times opinion editorial, March 14, 2009.Google Scholar
- 5.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca_tea Accessed 3/12/2009.
- 6.Galarza-Guzman M, Penaloza-Imana R, Afcha L, Aguilar Valerio M et al. Effect of coca chewing on the glucose tolerance test. Medicine (B Aries) 1997; 57: 261–264.Google Scholar
- 14.The Florida Times Union; Story by Timothy J. Gibbons; January 10, 2009; http://www.tullylegal.com, accessed 3/13/2009.
- 15.Garrido vs Cook County Sheriff’s Merit Board, June 9, 2004, State of Illinois No-1-03–1128.Google Scholar
- 22.Negrusz A, Perry JL, Moore C. Detection of cocaine on various denominations of United States currency. J Forensic Sci 1998; 43: 626–629.Google Scholar
- 25.Lavins ES, Lavins BD, Jenkins AJ. Cannabis (marijuana) contamination of United States and foreign paper currency. THC in J Anal Toxicol 2004; 28: 439–442.Google Scholar
- 26.Hudson JC. Analyses of currency of cocaine contamination. J Can Soc Forensic Sci 1989; 22: 203–219.Google Scholar
- 28.ElSohly MA. Urinalysis and casual handling of marijuana and cocaine. J Anal Toxicol 1991; 14: 46.Google Scholar
- 32.MRO Case Studies (Health and Human Services of the US Government) 2005: (http://workplace.samhsa.gov/DrugTesting/Files_Drug_Testing/MROs/MRO%20Case%20Studies%20-%20Ferbruary%202005.pdf)