- 1.7k Downloads
Technical innovations have resulted in the creation of lower-cost and portable ultrasound machines that have the potential to provide a valuable tool to assist in bedside evaluation. Point-of-service ultrasound is well suited for the expeditious diagnosis of renal disorders while facilitating subsequent therapeutic interventions such as percutaneous procedures and ablations. The combination of an accurate diagnostic tool with the clinical acumen of a well-trained urologist is likely to improve health-care delivery while reducing the cost of providing that care.
KeywordsLeft Kidney Renal Mass Renal Cyst Renal Ultrasound Renal Sinus
Dr Simmons wanted to acknowledge and thank Daniel Rukstalis, MD for his contributions to the chapter.
- 3.AIUM Practice Guidelines, Ultrasound in the practice of urology. 2011. http://www.aium.org/resources/guidelines/urology.pdf. Accessed Mar 2013.
- 4.American Urological Association (AUA) Guideline: diagnosis, evaluation and follow-up of asymptomatic microhematuria (AMH) in adults: AUA Guideline. 2012. http://www.auanet.org/content/media/asymptomatic_microhematuria_guideline.pdf. Accessed May 2012.
- 5.American Urological Association (AUA) Guideline: clinical effectiveness protocols for imaging in the management of ureteral calculous disease: AUA technology assessment. 2012. http://www.auanet.org/content/media/imaging_assessment.pdf. Accessed Mar 2013.
- 6.Wein A. Campbell-Walsh urology, vol. 1. 9th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2009.Google Scholar
- 9.Adam A, editor. Grainger and Allison’s diagnostic radiology, No 1. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2008.Google Scholar
- 30.de Souza LR, Goldman SM, Faintuch S, et al. Comparison between ultrasound and noncontrast helical computed tomography for identification of acute ureterolithiasis in a teaching hospital setting. Sao Paulo Med J Revista Paulista de Medicina. 2007;125(2):102–7.Google Scholar
- 32.AUA Guideline: clinical effectiveness protocols for imaging in the management of ureteral calculous disease: AUA technology assessment. http://www.auanet.org/content/media/imaging_assessment.pdf. Accessed Mar 2013
- 36.O’Neill Charles W. Atlas of renal ultrasonography. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Company; 2001. pp. 43, 47.Google Scholar