THC significantly inhibits the humoral and cellular mediated immune responses of rats in a dose-related fashion. A similar immunosuppressive effect is produced by marihuana smoke delivered by an automatic inhaler (equivalent inhibition is not produced by marihuana smoke from which THC has been removed). Doses of THC administered were calculated so as to correspond to the doses used in human consumption.
KeywordsInhalation Dose Splenic Lymphocyte Primary Immune Response Inhalation Study Puff Volume
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Armand, J. -P., Hsu, J. T. and Nahas, G. G. (1974) inhibition of blastogenesis of T lymphocytes by A9-THC. Fed. Proc. 33, 539.Google Scholar
- 2.Bino, T. A., Chari-Bitron, and Shahar, A. (1972) Biochemical effects and morphological changes in rat liver mitochondria exposed to Dl-tetrahydrocannabinol. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 288, 195–202.Google Scholar
- 3.Braude, M. C. and Szara, S. (eds.) (1975) The Pharmacology of Marihuana. Raven, Press. New York.Google Scholar
- 4.Cushman, P. and Khurana, R. (1975) Effects of marihuana smoking and tetrahydrocannabinol on T-cell rosettes. Fed. Proc. 34, 783.Google Scholar
- 5.DeSoize, B., Hsu, J., Nahas, G. G. and Morishima, A. (1975) Inhibition of human lymphocyte transformation in vitro by natural cannabinoids and olivetol. Fed. Proc. 34, 783.Google Scholar
- 14.Lau, R. J., Lerner, C. B., Tubergen, D. G., Benowitz, N., Domino, E. F. and Jones, R. T. (1975) Non-inhibition of phytohemagglutinin (PHA) induced lymphocyte transformation in humans by A9-tetrahydrocannabinol (A9-THC). Fed. Proc. 34, 783.Google Scholar
- 16.Lefkowitz, S. S. and Yang, C. (1975) Drug induced immunosuppression of the plaque forming cell response. 75th Meeting, Am. Soc. Microbiol. p. 81.Google Scholar
- 17.Levy, J. A., Munson, A. E., Han-is, L. S. and Dewey, W. L. (1975) Effects of A9-THC on the immune response of mice. Fed. Proc. 34, 782.Google Scholar
- 18.Liskow, B., Liss, J. L. and Parker, C. W. (1971) Allergy to marihuana. Ann. Intern. Med. 75, 571–573.Google Scholar
- 21.Marihuana and Health. (1974) Fourth Report to the U.S. Congress, Department of Health, Education and Welfare Publ. No. (ADM) 75–181, pp. 1–152.Google Scholar