Hamiltonian Structure, Fluid Representation and Stability for the Vlasov–Dirac–Benney Equation
This contribution is an element of a research program devoted to the analysis of a variant of the Vlasov–Poisson equation that we dubbed the Vlasov–Dirac–Benney equation or in short V–D–B equation. As such it contains both new results and efforts to synthesize previous observations. One of main links between the different issues is the use of the energy of the system. In some cases such energy becomes a convex functional and allows to extend to the present problem the methods used in the study of conservation laws. Such use of the energy is closely related to the Hamiltonian structure of the problem. Hence it is a pleasure to present this article to Walter Craig in recognition to the pioneering work he made for our community, among other things, on the relations between Hamiltonian systems and Partial Differential Equations.
KeywordsCauchy Problem Hamiltonian System Poisson Equation Vlasov Equation Hamiltonian Structure
- 11.Gérard, P.: Remarques sur l’analyse semi-classique de l’équation de Schrödinger non linéaire. Séminaire sur les Equations aux Dérivées Partielles 1992–1993, Exp. No. XIII, 13 pp. Ecole Polytech., Palaiseau (1993)Google Scholar
- 19.Kruskal, M.D.: Hydromagnetics and the theory of plasma in a strong magnetic field, and the energy principles for equilibrium and for stability. 1960 La théorie des gaz neutres et ionisés (Grenoble, 1959) pp. 251–274. Hermann, Paris; Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 21.Majda, A.: Compressible fluid flow and systems of conservation laws in several space variables. Applied Mathematical Sciences, vol. 53. Springer, New York (1984)Google Scholar
- 24.Paley, R.C., Wiener, N.: Fourier transforms in the complex plane, vol. 19. AMS, USA (1934)Google Scholar
- 28.Zakharov, V.E.: Benney equations and quasiclassical approximation in the inverse problem method. Funktsional. Anal. i Prilozhen. (Russian) 14(2), 15–24 (1980)Google Scholar