Renal Cell Carcinoma and Chronic Kidney Disease
Over the past two decades, there has been a notable increase in the early diagnosis of kidney cancers. Earlier diagnosis is likely due to a myriad of findings including more aggressive imaging of patients with microscopic hematuria. While, approximately 20–25 % of these small renal masses are benign (oncocytoma or angiomyolipoma), the majority are malignant. Depending upon the specific subtype and stage, the 5-year survival exceeds 90–95 % in most studies. Importantly, there are currently more than 300,000 kidney cancer survivors in the USA. Given the excellent oncologic outcomes for a majority of patients with renal cell cancer (RCC), it is critical that care of these patients move beyond therapy that addresses the malignancy to those issues that affect long-term mortality and morbidity. In this population, chronic kidney disease (CKD), due to both underlying conditions as well as loss of renal mass, has become a key determinant of long-term outcomes.
KeywordsRenal cell carcinoma Nephrectomy Chronic kidney disease Progression Partial nephrectomy ESKD
List of Abbreviations
Chronic kidney disease
European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer
End stage kidney disease
Glomerular filtration rate
Renal cell cancer
- 1.US National Cancer Institute. Kidney cancer. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/kidney. Accessed: 19. Aug. 2013.
- 8.Campbell SC, Novick AC, Belldegrum A, Blute ML, Chow GK, Derweesh IH, Faraday MM, Kaouk JH, Leveillee RJ, Matin SF, Russo P, Uzzo RG. Practice guidelines committee of the American Urological Association. Guideline for management of the clinical T1 renal mass. J Urol. 2009;182:1271–9.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Patard JJ, Shvarts O, Lam JS, Pantuck AJ, Kim HL, Ficarra V, Cindolo L, Han KR, De La Taille A, Tostain J, Artibani W, Abbou CC, Lobel B, Chopin DK, Figlin RA, Mulders PF, Belldegrum AS. Safety and efficacy of partial nephrectomy for all T1 tumors based on an international multicenter experience. J Urol. 2004;171:2181–5.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Van Poppel H, Da Pozzo L, Albrecht W, Mateev V, Bono A, Borkowski A, Colombell M, Klotz L, Skinner E, Kean T, Marreaud S, Collette S, Sylvester R. A prospective, randomized EORTC intergroup phase 3 study comparing the oncologic outcome of elective nephron-sparing surgery and radical nephrectomy for low-stage renal cell carcinoma. Eur Urol. 2011;59:543–52.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Scosyrev E, Messing EM, Sylvester R, Campbell S, Van Poppel H. Renal function after nephron-sparing surgery versus radical nephrectomy: results from EORTC randomized trial 30904. Eur Urol. 2013;pii:S0302-2838(13)00659–3. doi:10.1016/j.eururo.2013.06.044 [Epub ahead of print].Google Scholar
- 16.Becker F, Van Poppel H, Hakenberg OW, Stief C, Gill I, Guazzoni G, Montorsi F, Russo P, Stockle M. Assessing the impact of ischemia time during partial nephrectomy. Eur Urol. 2009;625–34.Google Scholar
- 34.Sun M, Bianchi M, Hansen J, Trinh QD, Abdollah F, Tian Z, Sammon J, Shariat SF, Graefen M, Montorsi F, Perotte P, Karakiewicz PI. Chronic kidney disease after nephrectomy in patients with small renal masses: a retrospective observational analysis. Eur Urol. 2012;62:696–703.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Sarnak MJ, Levey AS, Schoolwerth AC, Coresh J, Culleton B, Hamm LL, McCullough PA, Kasiske BL, Kelepouris E, Klag MJ, Parfey P, Pfeffer M, Raij L, Spinosa DJ, Wilson PW. American Heart Association Council on Kidney in Cardiovascular Disease, HBPRCC, Epidemiology, Prevention: Kidney disease as a risk factor for development of cardiovascular disease: a statement from the American Heart Association Councils on Kidney in Cardiovascular Disease, High Blood Pressure Research, Clinical Cardiology and Epidemiology and Prevention. Circulation. 2003;108:2154–69.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 38.Srigley JR, Amin MB, Delahunt B, et al. Protocol for the examination of specimens from patients with invasive carcinoma of renal tubular origin. http://www.cap.org/apps/docs/committees/cancer/cancer_protocols/2012/RenalPelvUreter_12protocol_3300.pdf. Updated July 2012. Accessed: 31. Aug. 2013.