Urine toxicology screen is a potentially useful tool in monitoring the patient’s adherence to treatment. It is underutilized is many settings but may also be overutilized in others. This chapter summarizes the reasons and recommended frequency for this test. It also discusses the various types of urine toxicology screen, the expected results based on medication’s metabolism, as well as potential drawbacks such as false positives and negatives.
KeywordsUrine drug screen Urine drug testing Urine toxicology screen Urine toxicology test Immunoassay Confirmatory testing Chromatography Mass spectrometry False positives False negatives Opioids Benzodiazepines Addictive Misuse Risk Cross-reactivity Metabolism Drug-seeking behaviors Frequency
Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments
High performance liquid chromatography
Liquid chromatography tandem mass spectro-metry
Lysergic Acid Diethylamide
Methadone Maintenance Treatment Program
Point of care
Random drug screen
Urine drug screen
- 2.Official Disability Guidelines (ODG), Treatment Index, 11th Edition (web), 2013, Pain (Chronic).Google Scholar
- 3.Chelminski PR, Ives TJ, Felix KM, Prakken SD, Miller TM, Perhac JS, Malone RM, Bryant ME, DeWalt DA, Pignone MP. A primary care, multi-disciplinary disease management program for opioid-treated patients with chronic non-cancer pain and a high burden of psychiatric comorbidity. BMC Health Serv Res. 2005;5(1):3.PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Mikel C, Pesce AJ, Rosenthal M, West C. Therapeutic monitoring of benzodiazepines in the management of pain: current limitations of point of care immunoassays suggest testing by mass spectrometry to assure accuracy and improve patient safety. Clin Chim Acta. 2012;413(15–16):1199–202.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Redwood Toxicolog Laboratory. Laboratory testing reference guide. http://www.redwoodtoxicology.com/documents/3034_refguide.pdf. Accessed 10 Feb 2013.
- 12.Ameritox Medication Monitoring Solutions. Drug test quick reference guide. Baltimore: Ameritox Ltd; 2010.Google Scholar