Consumer Privacy in the Age of Big Data
A February 2012 article on The New York Times reads, “Facebook’s pending initial public offering gives credence to the argument that personal data is the oil of the digital age. The company was built on a formula common to the technology industry: offer people a service, collect information about them as they use that service and use that information to sell advertising” (1).
- 1.Brustein, Joshua. Start-Ups Seek to Help Users Put a Price on Their Personal Data. [Online] The New York Times, February 12, 2012. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/13/technology/start-ups-aim-to-help-users-put-a-price-on-their-personal-data.html.
- 2.Conlon, Martina and Nguyen, Thuy. Data Services for US Insurers 2012 (Q1). [Online] Novarica, February 2012. http://www.novarica.com/data_services_nmn2012/.
- 3.Lobosco, Katie. Facebook friends could change your credit score. [Online] CNNMoney, August 27, 2013. http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/26/technology/social/facebook-credit-score/index.html.
- 4.Duhigg, Charles. How Companies Learn Your Secrets. [Online] The New York Times, February 16, 2012. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/magazine/shopping-habits.html?pagewanted=all.
- 5.Ramirez, Edith. The secret eyes watching you shop. [Online] CNN, May 30, 2014. http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/30/opinion/ramirez-data-brokers-ftc/index.html.
- 6.ACLU. Internet Privacy. [Online] American Civil Liberties Union. [Cited: May 29, 2012.] http://www.aclu.org/technology-and-liberty/internet-privacy.
- 7.Office of Public Affairs. Commerce Department Unveils Policy Framework for Protecting Consumer Privacy Online While Supporting Innovation. [Online] United States Department of Commerce, December 16, 2010. http://www.commerce.gov/news/press-releases/2010/12/16/commerce-department-unveils-policy-framework-protecting-consumer-priv.
- 8.Kelly, Heather. Is the government doing enough to protect us online? [Online] CNN, July 31, 2012. http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/25/tech/regulating-cybersecurity/index.html.
- 9.CNNMoneyTech. Consumer Privacy Bill of Rights. [Online] CNNMoney, February 23, 2012. http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/22/technology/bill_of_rights_privacy/index.htm.
- 10.Goldman, David. White House pushes online privacy bill of rights. [Online] CNN, February 23, 2012. Money. http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/23/technology/privacy_bill_of_rights/index.htm.
- 11.Consumer Watchdog. Consumer Watchdog Calls on Commerce Department to Offer Privacy Legislation; Says Proposed “Multi-Stakeholder Process” Must Be Fair, Transparent and Credible. [Online] MarketWatch, April 2, 2012. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/consumer-watchdog-calls-on-commerce-department-to-offer-privacy-legislation-says-proposed-multi-stakeholder-process-must-be-fair-transparent-and-credible-2012-04-02.
- 12.Simpson, John M. Consumer Watchdog Tells White House Team People Have Right To Control Data. [Online] Consumer Watchdog, April 1, 2014. http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/newsrelease/consumer-watchdog-tells-white-house-team-people-have-right-control-data.
- 13.Federal Trade Commission. Protecting Consumer Privacy in an Era of Rapid Change: Recommendations for Businesses and Policymakers. [Online] FTC Report, March 2012. http://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/documents/reports/federal-trade-commission-report-protecting-consumer-privacy-era-rapid-change-recommendations/120326privacyreport.pdf.
- 14.—. FTC Issues Final Commission Report on Protecting Consumer Privacy. [Online] Federal Trade Commission, March 26, 2012. http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2012/03/ftc-issues-final-commission-report-protecting-consumer-privacy.
- 15.Winkler, Rolfe. Fight Over ‘Do Not Track’ Web Rules. [Online] The Wall Street Journal, May 22, 2014. http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303749904579576283791254304.
- 16.Blue, Violet. Facebook turns user tracking ‘bug’ into data mining ‘feature’ for advertisers. [Online] ZDNet, June 17, 2014. http://www.zdnet.com/facebook-turns-user-tracking-bug-into-data-mining-feature-for-advertisers-7000030603/.
- 17.Legislative Counsel of California. BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONS CODE SECTION 22575-22579. [Online] Official California Legislative Information, July 1, 2004. http://leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=bpc&group=22001-23000&file=22575-22579.
- 18.Mills, Elinor. Tech firms agree to privacy protections for mobile apps. [Online] CNET, February 22, 2012. http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57382965-83/tech-firms-agree-to-privacy-protections-for-mobile-apps/.
- 19.European Commission. Commission proposes a comprehensive reform of the data protection rules. [Online] European Commission Newsroom, January 25, 2012. http://ec.europa.eu/justice/newsroom/data-protection/news/120125_en.htm.
- 20.Rooney, Ben. Reding Details Sweeping Changes to EU Data Laws. [Online] The Wall Street Journal, January 23, 2012. http://blogs.wsj.com/tech-europe/2012/01/23/reding-details-sweeping-changes-to-e-u-data-laws/.
- 21.Randazza, Marc. We need a ‘right to be forgotten’ online. [Online] CNN, May 14, 2014. http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/14/opinion/randazza-google-right-to-privacy/index.html.
- 22.Rosen, Jeffrey. The Right to Be Forgotten. [Online] Stanford Law Review, February 13, 2012. http://www.stanfordlawreview.org/online/privacy-paradox/right-to-be-forgotten.
- 23.Burke, Samuel. Google fielding ‘take-down requests’ after privacy ruling. [Online] 2014, 16 May. http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/16/technology/google-forget/index.html.
- 24.Petroff, Alanna. Google spells out how to be ‘forgotten’ in search. [Online] CNNMoney, May 30, 2014. http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/30/news/companies/google-europe-search/index.html.
- 25.Google. Search removal request under European Data Protection law. [Online] Google. [Cited: June 3, 2014.] https://support.google.com/legal/contact/lr_eudpa?product=websearch.