Principles of Electrocautery-Based Techniques
This discussion will focus on the technical aspects of electrosurgical techniques used in the surgical treatment of BPH. The core principle of electrosurgery is the application of electrical current to tissue results in heating of the tissue and desired effects on the tissue. The given effect on the tissue largely depends on the rate of temperature rise in tissue, which can be controlled by adjusting the settings of the electrosurgical generator. Tissue effects include cutting, coagulation, vaporization, desiccation, and fulguration. Monopolar techniques require a large dispersive pad located on the patient, while bipolar techniques feature both active and return electrodes built into the resectoscope. Bipolar resection can be carried out in a saline medium, which for all practical purposes removes the risks of TUR syndrome and dilutional hyponatremia observed with monopolar TURP.
KeywordsAdenoma Glycine Mannitol Sorbitol
- 2.Taheri A, Mansoori P, Sandoval LF, Feldman SR, Pearce D, Williford PM. Electrosurgery: Part I. Basics and principles. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2014;70(4):591 e591–591 e514. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2013.09.056.
- 8.Collins JW, MacDermott S, Bradbrook RA, Keeley FX, Timoney AG. A comparison of the effect of 1.5 % glycine and 5 % glucose irrigants on plasma serum physiology and the incidence of transurethral resection syndrome during prostate resection. BJU Int. 2005;96(3):368–72. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2005.05633.x.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Akgul KT, Ayyildiz A, Nuhoglu B, Caydere M, Ustun H, Germiyanoglu C. Comparison of transurethral prostate resection and plasmakinetic prostate resection according to cautery artefacts in tissue specimens. Int Urol Nephrol. 2007;39(4):1091–6. doi: 10.1007/s11255-007-9174-1.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Hoekstra RJ, van Melick HHE, Kok ET, Bosch JLHR. A 10-year follow-up after transurethral resection of the prostate, contact laser prostatectomy and electrovaporization in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia; long-term results of a randomized controlled trial. BJU Int. 2010;106(6):822–6. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2010.09229.x.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Sinanoglu O, Ekici S, Tatar MN, Turan G, Keles A, Erdem Z. Postoperative outcomes of plasmakinetic transurethral resection of the prostate compared to monopolar transurethral resection of the prostate in patients with comorbidities. Urology. 2012;80(2):402–6. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2012.02.029.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar