In the present chapter, examples of different strategies to summarize and discuss systematically all the available knowledge on different arguments related with temporomandibular disorders (TMD) are provided. In particular, the approaches to review the literature are discussed in detail by taking into consideration the bruxism literature: A first example review on the role of bruxism as a risk factor for dental implants is based on a PICO-like reading of the articles, and another example review on the epidemiology of bruxism. Also, a commentary on the factors to take into account when appraising findings from a meta-analysis is provided. As a general remark, it should be considered that several guidelines may be found in the medical literature on the best strategy to perform literature reviews on the different topics (e.g., epidemiology, diagnosis, treatment), so this chapter is not fully exhaustive of all the possible situations a researcher might be facing when attempting to summarize the available knowledge on a particular argument. On the other hand, there are some common suggestions to all the possible situations related to the search strategy, the inclusion criteria and the way to present findings as more neutrally and bias-free as possible. To those general rules is dedicated this chapter, which contains comments and suggestions that may help researchers searching for basic as well as more advanced advices.
KeywordsTurkey MeSH Bruxism
- Greene CS. Science transfer in orofacial pain. In: Lund JP, Lavigne GJ, Dubner R, Sessle BJ, editors. Orofacial pain. From basic science to clinical management. Chicago: Quintessence Publishing; 2006. pp. 281–286.Google Scholar
- Lavigne GJ, Montplaisir JY. Restless leg syndrome and sleep bruxism: prevalence and associations among Canadians. Sleep. 1994;17:739–43.Google Scholar
- Manfredini D, Bucci MB, Bucci Sabattini V, Lobbezoo F. Bruxism: overview of current knowledge and suggestions for dental implants planning. Cranio. 2011;29:304–12.Google Scholar
- Manfredini D, Poggio CE, Lobbezoo F. Is bruxism a risk factor for dental implants? A systematic review of the literature. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2012b Nov 13. doi:10.1111/cid.12015.Google Scholar
- Palla S, Farella M. External validity: a forgotten issue? J Orofac Pain. 2009;23:297–8.Google Scholar