Seniors During Wars and Civil Strife: The Lebanese Story
Emergencies pose a wide range of serious threats to security, health, and well-being.
The situation of older adults is generally much less known and their needs and potential capabilities are often overlooked in emergency policies and programs. Opportunities to assist older adults are generally missed, leaving many without any protection.
Drawing on experiences from the wars in Lebanon and elsewhere, this chapter raises the visibility of seniors in emergencies and outlines the factors that place them at risk.
There is a need to develop a “culture” of emergency preparedness that realizes the needs and contributions of older persons within governments, NGOs, the private sector, and communities. Moreover, there is an urgent need to consider, within plans for reconstruction, the broader issue of the long-term health impact of war on civilians.
This chapter also calls for adopting attitudes, policies, and programs that protect and support older people’s rights, and recognize and value their contributions in times of emergencies.
KeywordsDisasters Wars Emergency preparedness Older people
- 1.Abi-Habib L, Jaalouk L, Chemaitelly H. Community based assessment of the well being of the elderly in Lebanon. Balamand University. Population and Development Strategies Project (PDS). 2007. http://www.popdev-lebanon.org/Publication/Publications.aspx
- 2.Balamand University. Needs assessment of elderly population in the Caza of Nabatieh—(household data collection). Population and Development Strategies Project (PDS). 2006. http://www.popdev-lebanon.org/Publication/Publications.aspx
- 5.Fitzgerald K, Maxwell N. Literature review: The roles and responsibilities of health practitioners of older adults in emergency management for the Division of Aging and Seniors (DAS) Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC). Swansea University, Wales. 2009. http://www.ccsmh.ca/pdf/Literature%20Review_Roles%20of%20Health%20Pract%20in%20EP.pdf
- 6.HelpAge International. Older people in disasters and humanitarian crises: Guidelines for best practice. London: HelpAge International. 2000. http://www.reliefweb.int/library/documents/HelpAge_olderpeople.pdf
- 7.Hutton D. Older people in emergencies: considerations for action and policy development. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2008. http://www.who.int/ageing/publications/Hutton_report_small.pdf
- 8.Madrid International Plan of Action on Ageing. Report of the Second World Assembly on Ageing. United Nations Programme on Ageing. 2002. www.un.org/esa/socdev/ageing/madrid_intlplanaction.html
- 9.MacCourt P. Age-responsive emergency planning: a policy lens. Working group on the integration of older persons into emergency planning and mitigation. 2009 in “Hutton D. Older persons and emergencies: Considerations for policy and action. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2008. www.who.int/ageing/publications/active/en/index.html
- 10.Plouffe L. Older persons in emergencies: an active ageing perspective. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2008. http://www.who.int/ageing/publications/EmergenciesEnglish13August.pdf
- 11.Population Ageing. New York: United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs. Population Division. 2006. http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/ageing/ageing2006.htm
- 12.Sibai AM, Kronful N. Needs assessment of older adults: The July 2006 War on Lebanon. 2007. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2008/9789241563642_eng.pdf
- 13.Sibai AM, Ghanem M, Wall M. Preparedness and responsiveness of Lebanese NGOs, social clubs and clinics in the provision of services to seniors in Lebanon: The July 2006 War on Lebanon. UNFPA, Ministry of Social Affairs: Population and Development Strategies Project (PDS). 2007. http://www.popdev-lebanon.org/Uploads/Files/Publications/Elderly%20Services%20Web.pdf
- 14.Sibai AM, Kronfol N, Sen K. Experiences, needs, vulnerabilities and resources of older adults: the July 2006 War on Lebanon. UNFPA, Ministry of Social Affairs and the WHO: Population and Development Strategies Project (PDS). 2007. http://www.popdev-lebanon.org/Uploads/Files/Publications/Elderly%20Study%20Web.pdf
- 15.Wells J. Protecting and assisting older people in emergencies. Humanitarian Practice Network paper, number 53. 2005. http://www.odihpn.org/documents/networkpaper053.pdf
- 16.World Disasters Report 2009—focus on early warning, early action. Geneva: International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. http://www.ifrc.org/publicat/wdr2009/index.asp
- 17.World Health Organization. Older persons in emergencies. Lebanon Humanitarian Crisis. Fact sheet. 2006. http://www.globalaging.org/armedconflict/countryreports/general/whodraftfactsh
- 18.World Health Organization. Older persons in emergencies: an active ageing perspective. 2008. ISBN 978 92 4 1563642. www.who.int/ageing/publications/EmergenciesEnglish13August.pdf