Influence of Subjective Happiness on the Prefrontal Brain Activity: An fNIRS Study
Focusing on the relationship between subjective happiness (SH) and emotional changes, we examined influences of SH on emotion-related prefrontal activity using multichannel NIRS. The International Affective Picture System (IAPS) was used to evoke emotional changes. Subjects were a total of 18 right-handed healthy students. Frequency of picture-induced increases in oxygenated haemoglobin (oxy-Hb) was evaluated. Subjects with a high SH score had a higher frequency of increased oxy-Hb in the left prefrontal cortex (PFC) while viewing pleasant pictures, whereas they showed a lower frequency in the right PFC while viewing unpleasant pictures. It is well known that the left PFC and right PFC are engaged in different ways in the emotional processes. Although further investigations are required, the present results indicate that the SH level influences the right-left differences in emotion-related prefrontal activity.
KeywordsSubjective happiness Emotion Near infrared spectroscopy Prefrontal cortex Laterality
This study was supported in part by grants-in-aid from the Ministry of Education, Science and Culture of Japan.
- 1.Matsunaga M, Kaneko H, Tsuboi H et al (2011) Psychosomatic approach to health from the perspective of positive psychology. Jpn Soc Psychosomat Med 51:135–140Google Scholar
- 4.Terasaki M, Tsunashima K, Nishimura T (1999) The structure of subjective well-being. Kawasaki Univ Medl Welfare 9:43–48Google Scholar
- 12.Nakahara-Gondoh Y, Fujimoto T, Sensui H et al (2013) The effects of low-frequency aerobic exercise training on psychological well-being. Bull Phys Fitness Res Inst 111:8–15Google Scholar
- 13.Kawahito J, Otsuka Y (2011) Positive self-complexity, satisfaction, happiness, and depression in university students. Jpn J Pers 20:138–140Google Scholar
- 22.Kotozaki Y (2012) Individual difference of the subjective well-being and automatic emotion regulation using affective priming. Jpn J Appl Psychol 37:135–136Google Scholar