Commercial Weight Loss Programs
Commercial weight loss programs have taken over the weight loss industry as widely accepted and relatively affordable options as a means to lose weight. The need for these programs varies from underequipped physicians to providing reasonably priced alternatives to clinical support. In this chapter, we’ll explore the various types of commercial programs available and the differences between them, ending with a look at how commercial weight loss program providers and consumers can work together to meet consumer demand and deliver outcome-based results.
KeywordsWeight loss Weight management Commercial weight loss programs Internet-based programs Weight Watchers
- 1.Danford D, Fletcher SW. Methods for voluntary weight loss and control, national institutes of health technology assessment conference. Ann Intern Med Suppl. 1993;119(7 Pt 2):641–770.Google Scholar
- 4.Weight Watchers International [Internet]. About us: history and philosophy. http://www.weightwatchers.com/about/his/history.aspx.
- 5.Weight Watchers International [Internet]. How it works. http://www.weightwatchers.com/plan/index.aspx.
- 6.Nutrisystem [Internet]. How it works. http://www.nutrisystem.com/jsps_hmr/how_it_works/why_it_works.jsp.
- 7.Optifast [Internet]. Why Optifast. http://www.optifast.com/Pages/program.aspx.
- 8.Medifast [Internet]. Weight-loss plan. http://www.medifast1.com/weight_loss_plan/index.jsp.
- 9.Jenny Craig [Internet]. How it works. http://www.jennycraig.com/site/how-it-works/details/.
- 10.LA Weight Loss [Internet]. How LA Weight Loss works. http://www.laweightloss.com/en/how-la-weight-loss-works
- 13.Jebb SA, Ahern AL, Olson AD, Aston LM, Holzapfel C, Stoll J, Amann- Gassner U, Simpson AE, Fuller NR, Pearson S, et al. Primary care referral to a commercial provider for weight loss treatment versus standard care: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2011;378:1485–92.CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Wing RR. Behavioral approaches to the treatment of obesity. In: Bray GA, Bouchard C, editors. Handbook of obesity: clinical applications. 2nd ed. New York: Marcel Dekker; 2004. p. 147–67.Google Scholar
- 22.Davis LM, Coleman C, Kiel J, Rampolla J, Hutchisen T, Ford L, Andersen WS, Hanlon-Mitola A. Efficacy of a meal replacement diet plan compared to a food-based diet plan after a period of weight loss and weight maintenance: a randomized controlled trial. Nutr J. 2010;9(11):1–10.Google Scholar