A Tale of Four Moguls: Interviews with Quincy Jones, Karlheinz Brandenburg, Tom Silverman, and Jay L. Cooper
MP3 and peer-to-peer file sharing technology single-handedly disrupted the age-old music business. iTunes and YouTube have displaced record stores and MTV. If we take the cue from Netflix which has successfully produced original content, it will not be long before Apple and Google will sign new artists and rival the record labels. Quincy Jones, who composed more than 40 major motion picture and television scores, has earned international acclaim as producer of the best-selling album of all time—Michael Jackson’s Thriller—which has sold more than 110 million copies worldwide. Jones was also the producer and conductor of the charity song “We Are the World.” The all-time most nominated Grammy artist with a total of 79 nominations and 27 wins, Jones has also received an Emmy Award, 7 Oscar nominations, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, the Ahmet Ertegun Award for Lifetime Achievement, and the Grammy Legend Award. He was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2013.
KeywordsMotion Picture Video Interview Record Company Advance Audio Code Record Label
I would like to acknowledge my colleague Alan Kay (president of Viewpoints Research Institute ) for introducing me to Quincy Jones; my intern Joey Lee (Ngee Ann Polytechnic ) for his assistance in transcribing some of the video interviews presented in this chapter; and National University of Singapore and Media Development Authority for their wonderful internship program.
- Consumer Electronics Association (2013) CE Hall of Fame Inductees. Consumer Electronics Association. http://www.ce.org/Events-and-Awards/Awards/CE-Hall-of-Fame/Inductees.aspx. Accessed 21 Sept 2013
- Ganim S, Stapleton A (2013) Dying teen covers Katy Perry’s ‘Roar’. CNN. http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/02/us/dying-teen-olivia-wise-roar/index.html. Accessed 4 Nov 2013
- Lee N (2004a) Interviews with Quincy Jones. ACM Computers in Entertainment. http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=973801.973815. Accessed Jan 2004
- Lee N (2004b) Interviews with Karlheinz Brandenburg. ACM Computers in Entertainment. http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1027154.1027169. Accessed July 2004
- Lee N (2009) An Interview with Tom Silverman. ACM Computers in Entertainment. http://cie.acm.org/articles/interview-tom-silverman/. Accessed June 2009
- Lee N (2012) How the internet and technological advances are transforming the music business: an interview with Jay Cooper. ACM Computers in Entertainment. http://cie.acm.org/articles/how-internet-and-technological-advances-are-transforming-music-business/. Accessed 5 March 2012
- Variety Staff (2013) Transactional lawyers negotiate the deals that make showbiz grow. Variety. http://variety.com/2013/biz/features/transactional-lawyers-1200334425/. Accessed 16 April 2013
- Wise O (2013) Olivia Wise—Roar (Katy Perry cover). YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_An8xNwupo. Accessed 14 Oct 2013