Design of Connectors for Electronic Packaging
The role of connectors in electronic packaging along with connector design philosophies and parameters are discussed in this paper. Topics considered are reliability, performance, versatility, utility, economy, and specifications. Five connector contact designs are presented and analyzed for their applicability to interconnecting the five basic modules—cards, cubes, substrates, flat-packaged integrated circuits, and transistor-canned integrated circuits—with the basic parent wiring systems.
KeywordsPrint Circuit Board Electronic Packaging Packaging System Insulation Resistance Wiring System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. S. Frant, “Plated Metals as Electrical Contact Materials,” Ballistics Systems Division Space Technology Laboratories Symposium on Connectors, Los Angeles, California, November 29–30, 1962.Google Scholar
- 2.R. H. Zimmerman, “Plating, Diffusion, and Oxide Films on Electrical Contacts,” Invitational Sym-posium in Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto, Aircraft-Marine Products of Canada, Ltd., October 1, 2, and 3, 1963.Google Scholar
- 3.J. H. Whitley, “Contacts and Dry Circuits,” Invitational Symposium in Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto, Aircraft-Marine Products of Canada, Ltd., October 1, 2, and 3, 1963.Google Scholar
- 4.L. D. Jaffe and J. B. Rittenhouse, “Behavior of Materials in Space Environments,” ARS J., March 1962.Google Scholar
- 5.R. W. King, N. J. Broadway, and S. Palinchock, “The Effect of Nuclear Radiation on Elastomeric and Plastic Components and Materials,” Radiation Effects Information Center, Battelle Memorial Institute, Columbus, Ohio, September 1, 1961.Google Scholar
- 6.M. M. Fulk and K. S. Horr, “Sublimation of Materials, Problem in Electronic Packaging for Space-craft,” Fourth International Electronic Packaging Symposium, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado, August 14–16, 1963.Google Scholar
- 7.R. C. Swengel and W. R. Evans, “A New Mechanical Approach for the Construction of Modular Electronic Equipments,” Aviation Conference of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Los Angeles, California, March 12–16, 1961.Google Scholar
- 8.H. Wasiele, Jr., “Maintainable Electronic Component Assemblies,” Second International Electronic Circuit Packaging Symposium, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado, August 16–18, 1961.Google Scholar
- 9.J. I. Shue, “Interconnections, A Problem in Electronic Packaging,” Invitational Symposium in Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto, Aircraft-Marine Products of Canada, Ltd., October 1, 2, and 3, 1963.Google Scholar