Management control systems: whence and whither?
Planet-wide, the increase in knowledge each year is enormous, and the pace of generation of new knowledge seems also to be increasing. One of the challenges facing the human species is how to assimilate and then harness this new knowledge in ways which are likely to lead to the more effective use of the planet’s limited resources whilst maintaining and developing an environment in which it is progressively more satisfying to live. Few would claim that anyone on the planet currently has a satisfactory way of handling that problem in practice. Research aimed at developing better ways of managing the use of both physical and mental resources is, therefore, both intellectually challenging and critically important for the future of the species. The potential area for research is so vast, however, that the biggest problem (rather like a child facing an enormous cream bun) is deciding where to start.
KeywordsManagement Control Word Control Management Control System General System Theory Managerial Output
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anthony R.N. (1965) Planning and Control Systems: A Framework for Analysis, Division of Research (Boston: Harvard Graduate School of Business).Google Scholar
- Anthony R.N., Dearden J. and Vancil, R.F. (1965) Management Control Systems, Cases and Readings (Homewood, Ill.: Irwin).Google Scholar
- Beer S. (1972) Brain of the Firm (London: Allen Lane).Google Scholar
- Dalton G.W. and Lawrence P.R. (1971) Motivation and Control in Organizations, (Homewood, Ill.: Irwin).Google Scholar
- Helms G. (1975) Texas Instruments OST System for Management Innovation, Management of Objectives, Vol. 1 No. 4, pp. 11–19.Google Scholar
- Hofstede G.H. (1968) The Game of Budget Control (London: Tavistock).Google Scholar
- Katz D. and Kahn R.L. (1966) The Social Psychology of Organisations (New York: John Wiley).Google Scholar
- Lawrence P.R. and Lorsch J.W. (1967a) New Management Job: The Integrator, Harvard Business Review, November/December, pp. 142-51.Google Scholar
- Machin J.L.J., Stewart R. and Hales C.P. (1981) Toward Managerial Effectiveness: Applied Research Perspectives on the Managerial Task and its Effective Performance (Farnborough: Gower).Google Scholar
- Machin L.J. and Tai C.H.S. (1983) A Communication-based Methodology for Research into, and Development of, Management Control Systems, New Perspectives in Management Control, Chapter 11.Google Scholar
- Richbell S. (1983) Management Control and Worker Participation in Management, New Perspectives in Management Control, Chapter 9.Google Scholar
- Tannenbaum A.S. (1968) Control in Organisations (New York: McGraw-Hill).Google Scholar