Wave Propagation in Subducted Lithospheric Slabs
The strongest lateral velocity gradients in the Earth are found in subduction zones. In these regions, the temperatures associated with colder, downgoing slabs can lead to compositional variations and to seismic velocities up to 10 percent higher than the surrounding mantle. These major sources of heterogeneity are known to have significant effects on the travel times and ray trajectories of waves travelling within them (e.g., Sleep, 1973; Davies and Julian, 1972). However, until only recently, the amplitude, extent, and location of the slab velocity anomaly have been examined primarily by observations of travel time anomalies. The deployment of broad-band instrumentation and advances in analysis methods now permit more extensive use of waveform data to model slab effects, including those that are non-geometrical.
KeywordsEurope Attenuation Flare Expense Subduction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burdick, L. J., Cole, D. M., Helmberger, D. V., Lay, T., and Wallace, T., 1981, Effective source functions from local surface measurements, Woodward-Clyde Consultants, report number WWCP-R-82–01.Google Scholar
- Cormier, V. F., 1986, Focusing and defocusing of S, SKS, and ScS waves by a descending lithospheric slab (abstract), EOS, Trans. Am. Geophys. Union, 44:1099.Google Scholar
- Cormier, V. F., 1987, Slab diffracted S-waves (abstract), IASPEI Abstracts, Vol. 1, p 308, XIX General Assembly, IUGG.Google Scholar
- Engdahl, E. R., and Kind, R., 1986, Interpretation of broad-band seismograms from central Aleutian earthquakes, Ann. Geophys., 4:233–240.Google Scholar
- Owens, T. J., and Crosson, R. S., 1986, Teleseismic P-waveform modelling for deep structure in a subduction zone environment (abstract), EOS, Trans. Am. Geophys. union, 67:1116.Google Scholar
- Sleep, N. H., 1973, Teleseismic P-wave transmission through slabs, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 63:1349–1373.Google Scholar
- Vidale, J. E., and Helmberger, D. F., 1986, Waveform effects of a high-velocity, subducted slab (abstract), EOS, Trans. Am. Geophys. Union, 44:1114.Google Scholar
- Vidale, J. E., and Garcia-Gonzalez, D., 1987, Observations of body wave distortion caused by subducting slabs (abstract), EOS, Trans. Am. Geophys. Union, 68:1379.Google Scholar
- Witte, D., 1987, Numerical simulations of seismic waves distorted by subducting slabs (abstract), EOS, Trans. Am. Geophys. Union, 16:352.Google Scholar