An invitation to write of the facts of one’s life and the forces that have driven and shaped them presents for me, at 64, a special challenge and opportunity. Any attempt to provide coherence to events and experiences that seemed, while they were being lived, not only to lack unity and clear direction but to feel at times quite random or chaotic must to a degree represent a false imposition of order. Yet, I suppose, all learning and teaching must to some extent be like that. For if we are to pass our experience — and, yes, lessons — on to others we must make them tangible and give them form, creating, if we can, a story from which meaning might be derived.
KeywordsMercury Europe Coherence Ketone Turkey
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chivian E (ed.): Last Aid: The Medical Dimensions of Nuclear War. San Francisco: W. H. Freedman, 1982.Google Scholar
- 2.Mack JE: Nightmares and Human Conflict. Boston: Little, Brown & Company, 1970. Reprinted with a revised preface, New York: Columbia University Press, 1989.Google Scholar
- 3.Mack JE: A Prince of Our Disorder: The Life of T. E. Lawrence. Boston: Little, Brown & Company; London: Weindenfeld and Nicholson, 1976.Google Scholar
- 4.Lawrence TE: Twenty-seven articles. In Mack JE: A Prince of Our Disorder: The Life of T. E. Lawrence. Boston: Little, Brown & Company, 1976:463–467.Google Scholar
- 5.Mack JE, Rogers RS: The Alchemy of Survival. Reading, MA: AddisonWesley, 1988.Google Scholar
- 6.Cohn C: Slick ’ems, glick ’ems, Christmas trees, and cookie cutters: Nuclear language and how we learned to pat the bomb. Bull Atomic Scientists 1987; June:17–24.Google Scholar
- 7.Mack JE: Ideology and technology: Lessons from the Nazi doctors for the nuclear age. In Tuttman (Ed): Psychoanalytic Group Theory and Therapy: Essays in Honor of Saul Scheidlinger. Mew York: International University Press, 1991 45–66.Google Scholar
- 8.Mack JE: The risks of malignant professionalism in our time. Presented at the American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting, New York, May 15, 1990.Google Scholar
- 9.Mack JE: Action and academia in the nuclear age. Harvard Magazine 1987;89(3):25–31.Google Scholar
- 10.Grof C, Grof S: The Holotropic Mind. San Francisco: Harper, 1992.Google Scholar
- 11.Mack JE: Abduction: Human Encounters with Aliens. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1994.Google Scholar