Measurement of Spectral Reflectance and Emissivity of Specular and Diffuse Surfaces in the Carbon Arc Image Furnace
Basically, there are two ways of measuring the spectral emissivity of the surface of an opaque body. One widely used method involves the direct measurement of the spectral radiance of the surface along with a determination of its temperature. Combination of these data with the blackbody radiation laws yields the spectral emissivity. Another method measures the spectral reflectance of the surface. From this, the spectral absorptance is calculated and, by application of Kirchhoff’s law, is equated to the spectral emissivity. Both of these methods, which we shall designate respectively as the “radiation” and “reflection” methods, have their limitations, which will receive attention in this paper.
KeywordsSpectral Reflectance Spectral Emissivity Spectral Radiance Quartz Plate Graphite Material
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.WADC Technical Report 59–789, “Development of Graphite and Graphite Base Multicomponent Materials for High-Temperature Service.”Google Scholar
- 4.WADD Technical Note 61–18, “Research and Development on Advanced Graphite Materials.”Google Scholar
- 5.ASTM Method D 986–50.Google Scholar
- 9.Null, M.R., and Lozier, W.W., J. Opt. Soc. Am. 51:1470 (1961).Google Scholar
- 10.Null, M.R., and Lozier, W. W., J. Soc. Motion Picture TV Engr. 68:80 (1959).Google Scholar
- 11.Plunkett, J.D., and Kingery, W.D., Proceedings of the Fourth Conference on Carbon (Pergamon Press, New York, 1960), pp. 457–472.Google Scholar
- 12.Betz, H.T., Olson, O.H., Schurin, B.D., and Morris, J.C., WADC Technical Report 56–222, Part I (1956).Google Scholar
- 13.McCartney, J. T., and Ergun, S., Fuel 37:272 (1958).Google Scholar
- 14.Null, M. R., and Lozier, W. W. “Measurement of Reflectance and Emissivity at High Temperature with a Carbon Arc Image Furnace,” presented at the Symposium on Measurement of Thermal Radiation Properties of Solids in Dayton, Ohio, on September 5–7, 1962.Google Scholar
- 15.Grenis, A. F., and Levitt, A. P., Watertown Arsenal Laboratories Technical Report No. WAL TR 397.1/2, November (1959).Google Scholar