New Aspects of Gas-Induced Swelling in Helium-Implanted Nickel during Annealing
We review results of an extensive study on bubble coarsening in nickel and provide some useful additional data which round off our picture deduced from the combined experimental evidence and from theoretical considerations: During annealing the bubble structure near the surface and near grain boundaries coarsens faster than in the bulk, leading to separated populations of large and small bubbles, respectively. The coarsening mechanism of the large bubbles near boundaries is identified as Ostwald ripening, whereas in the bulk coarsening proceeds by slow migration and coalescence, i.e. the bulk bubbles remain small and keep their overpressure.
KeywordsSmall Bubble Large Bubble Small Angle Neutron Scattering Nickel Foil Helium Concentration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.V.N. Chernikov, A.P. Zahkharov and P.R. Kazansky, Doklady AN SSSR 295, 1119 (1987).Google Scholar
- 8a.V.N. Chernikov, A.P. Zahkharov and P.R. Kazansky, Doklady AN SSSR 304, 870 (1989).Google Scholar
- 9.V.N. Chernikov, P.R. Kazansky, A.P. Zakharov and A.V. Markin, Doklady AN SSSR 311, 108 (1990).Google Scholar
- 12.J. Laakmann, Löslichkeit und Blasenwachstum von Helium in Metallen unter hohem Druck, Berichte der Kernforschungsanlage Jülich, J L-2007 (1985) ISSN 03660885.Google Scholar
- 14.B. Viswanathan and G. Amarenda, this volume.Google Scholar
- 15.V.V. Slezov and P.O. Mchedlov-Petrosyan, Phys. Met, Metal. 46/2, 26 (1979).Google Scholar
- 16.S.I. Golubov, Fizika Metallov i Metallovedenije 60, 428 (1985).Google Scholar
- 18.H. Schroeder and P. Fichtner, Proc. 4th Intern. Conf. on Fusion Reactor Materials, Kyoto (1989).Google Scholar
- 19.H. Schroeder and P. Fichtner, this volume.Google Scholar
- 21.F. Carsughi, D. Schwahn and H. Ullmaier, to be published.Google Scholar