Diagnosis of Marijuana Dependency
There is a great deal of controversy over the diagnosis of marijuana dependence. Disagreement about how it is diagnosed and treated is widespread. Indeed, many argue against the definition of marijuana dependence per se as a primary disease that requires medical intervention.
KeywordsFatigue Hepatitis Pneumonia Cortisol Schizophrenia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Gold MS, Pottash ALC, Estroff TW: Substance-induced organic mental disorders, in Hales RE, Frances AJ (eds), Psychiatry Update. Washington, DC, APA Press, 1985:227–240.Google Scholar
- 3.Estroff TW, Gold MS: Psychiatric presentations of marijuana abuse. Psychiatric Annals 1986;16:221–224.Google Scholar
- 4.Dackis CA, Gold MS, Estroff TW: Inpatient treatment of addiction, in APA Manual of Therapeutics. Washington, DC, APA Press (in press).Google Scholar
- 7.Williams RL, Karacan I: Sleep disorders diagnosis and treatment. New York, Wiley, 1978.Google Scholar
- 10.Miller JD et al: National survey on drug abuse: Main findings. Rockville, MD, National Institute of Drug Abuse, 1985.Google Scholar
- 12.Goodwin DW: Alcoholism and genetics. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1985;171-174.Google Scholar
- 13.Cadoret R, Garth A: Inheritance of alcoholism in adoptees. Br J Psychiatry 1978;132:252–288.Google Scholar
- 14.Jaffe JH: Drug and addiction abuse, in Goodman LS, Gilman AG, Rall TW, Murad F (eds), The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. New York, Macmillan, ed 7, 1985:532–581.Google Scholar
- 15.Miller NS: A primer for the treatment process for alcohol and drug addiction. Psychiatry Letter 1987;5(7):30–37.Google Scholar
- 16.Miller NS, Gold MS: Marijuana (cannabis) dependence (addiction) and consequences. J Substance Abuse (in press).Google Scholar
- 18.Harris LS, Dewey WL, Razdan RK: Cannabis: Its chemistry, pharmacology, and toxicology, in Martin WR (ed), Drug Addiction. Berlin, Springer-Verlag, 1977.Google Scholar