The muscular dystrophies are relatively uncommon inherited disorders of muscle. They are characterized by a progressive course and by degenerative changes in skeletal muscle fibres. Most begin in childhood but in others the disease is not recognized until adult life. Classification depends on clinical, genetic and histological criteria (Table 6.1). The childhood myopathies are, by convention, classified separately since these disorders are only very slowly progressive and they show only mild myopathic changes in the muscle, although there may be particular features in certain of these disorders.
KeywordsMuscular Dystrophy Duchenne Dystrophy Muscle Spindle Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Myotonic Dystrophy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dubowitz, V. and Brooke, M. H. (1973), Muscle Biopsy -A Modern Approach, W. B. Saunders, London.Google Scholar
- Engel, W. K. (1977), Integrative histochemical approach to the defect in muscular dystrophy. In Pathogenesis of Human Muscular Dystrophies (ed. L. P. Rowland ), Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam, pp. 277–309.Google Scholar
- Harper, P. S. (1982), Carrier detection in Duchenne muscular dystrophy: a critical assessment. In Disorders of the Motor Unit (ed. D. L. Schotland) Wiley Medical, New York, ch. 63, pp. 821–46, 847–60.Google Scholar
- Mokri, B. and Engel, A. G. (1975), Duchenne dystrophy: electron microscopic findings pointing to a basic or early abnormality in the plasma membrane of the muscle fibre. Neurology (Minneap.), 25, 1111–20.Google Scholar
- Munsat, T. L., Piper, O., Canulla, P. and Mednik, J. (1972), Inflammatory myopathy with facio-scapulo-humeral distribution. Neurology (Minneap.), 22, 335–47. 116 Biopsy Pathology of MuscleGoogle Scholar
- van Wijngaarden, G. K. and Bethlem, J. (1973), The facio-scapulo-humeral syndrome. In Clinical Studies in Myology (ed. B. A. Kakulas ), Exerpta Medica, Amsterdam, pp. 498–501.Google Scholar
- Walton, J. N. (1973), Progressive muscular dystrophy: structural alteration in various stages and in carriers of muscular dystrophy. In The Striated Muscle (ed. C. M. Pearson ), Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, pp. 263–91.Google Scholar
- Walton, J. N. and Gardner-Medwin, D. (1981), Progressive muscular dystrophy and the myotonic disorders. In Disorders of Voluntary Muscle, 4th edn (ed. J. N. Walton), Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, pp. 481–524.Google Scholar