Psychological approaches with older people
Rehabilitation, like most healthcare, has much to do with changing human behaviour; changing the behaviour of the recipient but also changing the behaviour of family and staff. It therefore seems reasonable to expect that the scientific study of behaviour, psychology, should have something relevant to say to those involved in the rehabilitation of older people. There are indeed many areas of both general and clinical psychology that have specific relevance to helping older people. This chapter aims to identify at least the most important and to suggest how they can be put into practice. Problems of patient distress, difficulties of motivation, family conflict and a whole range of psychological problems can make it very difficult to achieve what the team, older person and carer believe is best.
KeywordsNormal Ageing Psychological Problem Informal Carer Life Story Psychological Approach
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Biggs, S. (1989) Confronting Ageing, Central Council for Education and Training in Social Work, London.Google Scholar
- Bromley, D.B. (1990) Behavioural Gerontology: Central Issues in the Psychology of Ageing, Wiley, Chichester.Google Scholar
- Cohen, G. and Faulkner, D. (1989) The effects of ageing on perceived and generated memories, in Everyday cognition in Adulthood and Late Life (eds L.W. Poon, D.C. Rubin and B.A. Wilson), Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Coleman, P.G. (1986) Ageing and Reminiscence Processes: Social and Clinical Implications, Wiley, Chichester.Google Scholar
- Gibson, F. (1994) Reminiscence and Recall: A Guide to Good Practice, Age Concern, London.Google Scholar
- Gilleard, C.J. (1984) Living with Dementia: Community Care of the Elderly Mentally Infirm, Croom Helm, London.Google Scholar
- Jones, D.A. and Vetter, N.J. (1994) A survey of those who care for the elderly at home: their problems and their needs. Social Science and Medicine, 19, 511–14.Google Scholar
- Twining, T.C. (1991) The Memory Handbook, Winslow Press, Bicester.Google Scholar
- Viney, L.L. (1993) Life Stories: Personal Construct Therapy with the Elderly, Wiley, Chichester.Google Scholar